New Filly Dwarf????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting more confused.. If Corona was Type 1 and the mare was type 3, what was the dwarf??? This indicates that the sire and dam don't have to carry the same type of dwarf genes in order to produce a dwarf. I do think someone else mentioned that earlier in this thread but without an example of it actually happening. This is getting more and more educational all the time.
I don't have the emails in front of me as they are only on backups, and it was 3 years ago so my memory isn't very reliable at this point, but I recall her being referred to as type III (the foal) and then later I remember, via an email from John, him referring to Corona having type I and the Sunny, the mare, having type III. I'm pretty confident I remember the results of the sire and dam, but I may be foggy on the filly being referred to as type III. Maybe if both are present, the more acute is the label that is given to the foal? I don't know. I personally beinf is it incorrect that both the sire and the dam have to carry the same type in order to produce a visual dwarf. I'm pretty confident that only two have to be present, not two of the same type.

Also, I realized I never answered your original questions about why we knew she was a dwarf. This is the only picture I have of her remaining, and I never saw her in person, but her head appeared to be almost as wide as it was long, her underbite was severe, her tongue hung out and would not stay in her mouth at all and she could not nurse at all. Her mouth couldn't close and therefore couldn't create a sucking reflex. Her tendons were very lax, she was about 14" tall and she also couldn't move her neck in the right position to nurse, assuming she could have suckled. Her spine appeared to be roached, and she was breathing with great difficulty. And I believe I said she passed at about 18 hours, but I think it was more like 8. Her owners wanted very much to save her and do whatever was necessary to save her, but after speaking with the husband it was decided the best thing was to let her go. They conferred with their vet and he agreed.

The saddest part of all of this is that Sunny, the mare, eventually passed from undetermined complications from the having the foal. She was a very special mare to the family, a show mare, with a pedigree that is very sought after. But mosty, she was their pet because of her silly antics and bossy personality. I will forever feel responsible for her being gone. Corona's life is great. He gets to be a rockstar and loved greatly by his young companion. He didn't suffer from this; it's the mares that suffer.

Just to bring this to the forefront again:

Here are some quotes from John. "Any parent carrying a single copy of 1,3,4,0r 5 combined in any other way with another carrier of any other 1,3,4,5 can make a dwarf. So you have homozygous dwarfs of the same mutation, and heterozygous dwarfs with two copies of mutations just different mutations." "Only type five is viable in heterozygous form in combination with 1 or 3, when combined with type 4 the 4/5 combination is lethal as well." (Copied from a post from horsehug earlier on this thread)

Lizzie-Grants are NOT easy to get. Not at all! And if he has received one before, but ran out of the funding, well....that's even worse.

Tremor-no need to be upset. There is much to research that comes into play. The tests must be incredibly accurate so much tweaking (probably years, maybe for each) is needed before such testing would ever be allowed to go public. Making sure ALL areas of dwarfism are covered. Different types can combine to make a dwarf so it's necessary to make sure ALL types have been discovered before releasing anything otherwise dwarfs and dwarf carriers could still be bred under the pretense that is safe to do so. That's a liability. I'm sure there's more as well.

ohmt, Thank you so much for reposting what I had quoted from John earlier. I almost did last night. But I have been so tired from foal watch I was barely awake. You are so right in what you said though. John's tests will be available to the public as soon as he can get them ready, and he has worked tirelessly for years on this.

Susan O.

thanks for all of the replies I have learned aloy. baby who is now called cupcake is doing pretty good I have to have a ferries over as she's going on the sides of her feet and still not totally up on them other then some of her features she acts pretty much like a normal baby spunky and full of herself again thanks for all of the information

Kudos to you for being so outspoken and asking about your new filly. The one thing that I think we all need to remember is to not just call a foal a dwarf because it is think bodied and short necked. Many normal foals are born with conformational faults and more thicker stock type bodies and they are not dwarf. Not everyone breeds for refined , leggy, modern halter-type foals. When I look at the pictures of her body I do not necessarily think "dwarf", but then I see what appears as a severe under-bite and then consider the over-all appearance and think yes, that is a dwarf. Lots of mini foals are bone with limb issues but they do typically correct themselves shortly. If time is not correcting Cupcake then that is also pointing to being a dwarf. Regardless, she does appear very healthy and is adorable!! She will have a purpose in life and can lead a productive life if cared for properly.

I'm glad to hear that Cupcake is doing well.

I would LOVE to keep seeing updates of your little one and I'm sure everybody involved with this thread be as well. Your baby has definitely become apart of the forum now because of this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to hear that Cupcake is doing well.

I would LOVE to keep seeing updates of your little one and I'm sure everybody involved with this thread be as well. Your baby has definitely become apart of the forum now because of this discussion.
It would be cool to watch her growth via pictures too. Just like the ones Mona posted back on page 2. I think to see the changes was pretty eye opening for anyone who has never had or raised a dwarf foal.

It would be cool to watch her growth via pictures too. Just like the ones Mona posted back on page 2. I think to see the changes was pretty eye opening for anyone who has never had or raised a dwarf foal.
I agree! It would be very education to watch Cupcake progress. And I just wanted to say I'm so glad she was born to you. I know this has been a heartache due to the position it now puts you in with your very nice mare, but I think if Cupcake had been born somewhere else, she may not get the care she needs or even worse. Bless you for being so willing to learn.

for sure I will keep everyone updated she is spunky for sure she acts like the big girls lol I am trying to get ahold of a ferrier to do her feet as she is walking on the sides some times and rocks on her back feet a little to. I had my husband do a little paddock for her and her mom as I let them both out the other day as it was nice thinking that mom would be very protective of her.... nope and the other mares started to cause a situation as well as one of the yearlings so the hubby helped to make a place for the two of them so they can enjoy the sun and I can keep a close eye on them. pictures soon

Ok her she is let me know your thoughts on how she is doing as again this is my first

cupcakeandme2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have a Mod in the building??

Would it be possible to put this thread in the Dwarf section, when it is done?? I think it is too good to lose.....

ok so someone thought it was a good idea to let the person who sold me the mare that she had a dwarf soi did fill them in on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back