New fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
We're making lemonade from lemons... remember the NW storm in December? Well, it hit us with HEAVY winds and knocked down approx. 30 of our trees, some onto an old building. So, insurance is helping us replace it and we're going all out! Stalls and storage galore.

Anyway, we also have open space for 2 more fields, both bordering a semi-busy 2-lane road. How far from this road should the fence be?

Thanks!

Kari

You better check with state, city or county, which ever those roads are. Most places have a certain distance for fences to be from the road. That is where I would start, then I would use maximum space allowed.

Hi

Yes I would check with state and county for easements and such. Just remember that folks throw things out of vehicles and may also stop and look, pet etc if possible. Or could have an accident and hit your fence so I would plan accordingly.

Good luck,

B

I agree with everyone else. All roads have setbacks and you need to know what your minimum is. we went a little futher back. The distance will be determined by who maintains your road whether it is maintained by the County, state or township. It should also show on your survey. If you are adding new buildings etc. You'll most likely need a current one. Good luck.

Yes please keep your fencing back from the road quite a ways. We have ours back from the road probably about 20 feet and some idiot still took out part of it one winter. Only doing 35 my butt... I am so glad that we didnt have any horses in there at the time.

Here it is easy to figure out--the fence line just goes on the far side of the ditch.
default_laugh.png
As long as it's on "our side" of the ditch, no one is concerned with following the property line exactly. As well, the ditch helps to prevent cars from going off the road & through our fences...most of them stop in the ditch, though in one case we did have a vehicle shoot right across & go through our fence.

Ok, go back a little from what county allows... I can do that!

Thanks
default_smile.png

Kari

Latest posts

Back