New England storm Friday thinking of you all

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
You all in New England will be on our minds tomorrow.

Hoping you make out all right with the nasty weather coming your way.

We are suppose to get rain most of the day then they say just a few inches of snow.

I remember too well when we got a couple feet of snow. It really made everyday things so much harder

Will be re-arranging horses tomorrow so our stallion won't have to stay in his run-in overnight. Already put all the toys away so they won't get buried in the snow. Filled water tubs even though they will likely freeze. Turned everyone out for a good run today. Got gas for the generator. Hope we don't lose power for a week again. I remember Storm Larry in 1978 but at least we didn't lose power then. Was kind of nice having the state shut down for 3 days! And no IPads, cell phones, or social media back then - it was snowshoe to pack down the trails enough so we could ski!

Thanks for thinking of us. I will try to take lots of pictures.... just have to charge the camera next.

I certainly hope everybody survives the storm with no issues. It always pays to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Stay safe everyone!

This morning all the toys were rearranged. The scary thing was reading the all time list of top 10 snow amounts in Hartford CT. For the three that I remember AND had horses (1978, 2001 and 2011) the latter two led to one dead mini (Max) and one large horse colic surgery (Target). Just a reminder that there are other effects from storms like this.

Snow has started here but at 11 degrees this a.m., it's rather toasty warm for us. The snow is no problem here because we're used to coping with it but the high winds that are supposed to come are another issue entirely. We're fine and we'll just run our generator if we lose power and we're self sufficient in many ways but my heart goes out to those who will struggle without power and warmth. OnTarget, I love having toys buried in the snow. The dogs love finding them again in the spring and are so excited by new toys.

Hoping everyone and their animals stay safe and warm!! Please let us know how you are when you can.

Ha - last month when the toys got buried our 2 yearling fillies found all of them and dug them out of the snow.

Yes, it is the wind I worry about too. We have runs attached to stalls, so we normally leave everyone out in the snow. But one stall will get snow blowing in so I don't like to leave that one open. The yearling stallion is in that run now so will likely have to move him when the wind picks up.

This storm hit Connecticut and most of eastern New England VERY hard. Generally 24" or so of snow in about 24 hours, sometimes as much as 6" an hour. I think all roads in MA & CT are still closed until later this afternoon. Our minis did fine so far, but a lot of snow in the stalls. I will attach a few photos for the last 24 hours. Still have to dig out gates. Inside shots are from 10:30 last night - Buckshot in the stall that the snow was piling up in, but it got no worse overnight. Cowboy in the doorway and I are both under a 12 foot deep overhang that the snow was getting into. Cowboy and 2 other minis stayed dry in the stall on the other side of the door. Other photos are the minis playing and making paths in the snow.

P1070854.JPG

P1070856.JPG

Princess 32in.JPG

Snappy_running.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! That is some snow Mary, and in such a short time!

Stay safe everyone and dont forget to log in when you can to let us know you are ok.

We only got about 12" of snow and were spared the worst unlike other areas. It's windy today and going to 10 below tonight without the wind chill factored in. Brrr! Mary, love your photos of the minis in the snow. Glad to hear you are okay. You sure did get a lot of snow!

At home my mom got about 22''-23'' in Mass and in Rhode Island I got around 24'' (I'm away at college now). I walked around the city for a little bit and the roads are terrible. Its very slushy, soft snow and underneath is all ice.

All the horses were locked up for the night but were very happy to get out and jump around in the snow lol. The goats won't be going out for awhile thought... We'll lose them :p

on the farm we had an upwards of 28+ inches (hillsboro reported 28, i had snow up to my waist and in some places up to my chest) everything and everyone made it out alright.

So glad to hear a few of you checking in here... hope everyone has made it through ok...

so much snow when you have outside animals just makes it so hard.

We got so lucky we were suppose to get a few inches but we ended up with just rain

although 1/2 hour away got an inch or 2 ...but nothing compared to everyone NY and north in New England

I hope everyone did OK getting through the storm!!

TargetsMom, that is a lot of snow!!! Happy to hear that you could get your minis in safe and sound! Post some more pictures if you are able...........

Latest posts

Back