new donkeys in a trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aura

Reaction score
I just got two mini donkeys. My first ever! I have regular sized horses. We are picking the donks up this weekend and I need some advice on hadling them and how to get them in the trailer. I don't want to scare them and I guess you have to use different tactics than with a horse. Can anyone help?

When we picked up our first mini donk, he had never been in a trailer. He was a yearling. He walked right up to the rear of the trailer, took one look and sat down.
rolleyes.gif
He was small enough we just picked him up and set him inside. He rode fine. We picked him up about 500 miles from here. Took 2 days to get home but he did great. He now loads very easily and I think actually enjoys going places.

minimule said:
When we picked up our first mini donk, he had never been in a trailer.  He was a yearling.  He walked right up to the rear of the trailer, took one look and sat down.
rolleyes.gif
  He was small enough we just picked him up and set him inside.  He rode fine.  We picked him up about 500 miles from here.  Took 2 days to get home but he did great.  He now loads very easily and I think actually enjoys going places.
451033[/snapback]

I think the ones I'm getting are adults. I don't know exactly what size they are but I don't think I will be able to pick them up. Any suggestions on how to get them to go in without picking them up? How did you train him to get in once you had hi at home? I know nothing of donkey handling at all and I have a feeling this first encoutnter might be difficult especially when they don't know me.

Are donkeys usually frightened of trailers? Will bribes work?

It may take some time. With donkeys and mules you have to have a LOT of patience. They will do things on their own time when they know it is safe. They are not stubborn like some think. They are thinkers and preservation of life comes first for them.

With Kilroy, we would just work with him daily. Let him walk up as close as he would go, then try to encourage a little closer. He finally got to the point he was curious about it and jumped right in.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck with it!

When we got our 5 year old Jennet and foal we just walked her up to the trailer and gave her a few minutes to smell and check it out.We then lifted one of her front feet and put it on the trailer floor and she seemed satisfied that it was safe and just hopped right in.The foal of course we just picked up and put her in.Good luck with your new donkeys.You will love them
wub.gif

Thanks for all your help. As you all suspected they got in very well. We just gave them some time to think about it and then coaxed them in with food. They are the sweetest things ever. They were not taken care of very well. Although they are registered they are grossly obese and their hooves are in absolutely abhorent condition. I normally trim my own horses and was going to do the donkeys too but they are curled up and I didn't know where to start. The soonest my farrier could get out was today at lunch so I am headed home in not too long to get their feet done. Poor babies! Oh well, at least I can guarantee they will never be let get anything like this ever again. With a lot of TLC this loving little pair should be back in condition soon. They are absolutely sweet, very friendly despite their rough condition.

Latest posts

Back