New Dog Flu???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the new flu that dogs are getting? No vaccine for it yet.

From what I heard, it originally was from an equine flu strain and mutated! Right now they think it's mostly on the East Coast but it is very contageous.

Anyone heard more about it???

MA

yep they talked about it on the today show last week.......this morning on the news they said it has officially hit oregon.......

It is a new strain of flu and they figure it will hit 80% of the dog population.....of that 80% there is about a 1-1 1/2 % fatality rate...there is no vaccine....it is more likely to hit public boarding kennels and currently you best defense they said was bordatella vaccine prior to any boarding situations.....

I know that some dog clubs in upper New York State have been discussing it and are keeping an eye on it, haven't heard of a vacine being discussed- I don't think anyone has reported a case yet in New York state, at least not through the forums I visit, nothing from my local dog club in welland, ontario.

Watching the channel 8 news last night, a dog has tested postive for it in OR.

What I am scared of, of what some dog owners might do to peoples horses now they know it jumped from horses to dogs. Sigh ~ ~

Yes, I heard about it on the news too. Was surprised to hear it was originally an equine strain that was passed to dogs.

I heard about this on the local news last night, but they don't have a link on their website today. They pretty much had the same info you all gave here, mutated horse virus, etc. Our local news said it's been confirmed in 8 states, the closest to us being Oregon. Fortunately my doggies are homebodies, but we will have to board them when we get the transplant call. The symptoms sounded a lot like bordetella. Wasn't someone just saying that bordatella had been diagnosed in a horse recently? It seems when we get to feeling comfortable that we've got vaccines for everything and anything, mother nature throws a new cootie into the mix.

Back