New Colts' Bite are Off...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Marker Minis

Reaction score
We've noticed that both of our colts' bites have gone off...

Dice is five months and we just weaned him about two-three weeks ago... He's doing great health wise, but about a week ago we noticed his bite is off... It's an underbite (lower teeth sticking out further than upper teeth. Just about an eighth of an inch...

This evening, we just noticed that Dash's bite is off... an overbite - but a bit less than Dice...

Neither of the fillies bites are off... They're spot on.

Is this typical of a growing youngster or do we have cause for worry? Is it because they're boys and they grow differently than girls?

We made sure their heads were low as I know that raising their heads displaces their jaws and gives a false bite misalignment.

Kari and Toni

Bites can move back and forth as they grow. I would keep an eye in it, but the amount by which they appear to be off is IMO within the realm of just growing and should likely come back to alignment.

If you are concerned, and in some cases it could be justified - have a qualified equine practioner or dentist look at the colts (s) mouth. It is common for their bites to move back and forth as Jill has mentioned. Good luck.

Equine Dental Practioner I meant
default_smile.png
Do not know how to edit my post.

Don't panick...I know that's easy for me to say. I have had foals do the same...and in time their bites correct themselves..it usually is a growing thing. But to be safe I would maybe have their teeth checked by your vet or an equine dentist. But Ill bet in a few months their bites will be right on.

Latest posts

Back