New Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVER

Reaction score
We had a colt born early this morning and his flaps never came off. I have removed most of the flaps on his feet, but his feet are quite cold and so are the bottom portion of his legs. Any suggestions?

How is the little guy doing? The feet and legs should have warmed up by now. Is he walking?

Ginny StP

He has been up and walking pretty much from the get go, but it is almost like he doesn't have good circulation in hind legs. All four are actually cool/cold to touch. I have been massaging them and the back left he doesn't really want to put a lot of weight on ( not that he has a lot of weight to put on it )

Silver, I'd worry more about him not putting weight on it. It sounds like he may have joint ill or septcis(sp). Foals can get an infection while in utero. I would have a vet check him ASAP. He can go downhill quite fast.. Geez why do they always get sick on a weekend. Really though I wouldn't wait. Take his temp then call a vet. It sound like he needs heavy antibiotics. I hope I'm wrong. Keep him warm and make sure he has plenty of colostrum. Please talk to a vet, joint ill can be fatal if not caught in time.

Please let us know how he's doing.

Ginny StP

Good advice from the above posts.....

Watch his colostrum intake. Massage his legs. You might dip his soft feet in some iodine water ...... and make sure he has a tetanus shot.

If his dam is up to date on her shots, you probably don't need it, but I thought I'd throw that in. Check with your vet.

MA

Pardon my stupidity but can someone please tell me what you mean by flaps?

Marty, I'm pretty sure she meant the little protective slippers on the end of the hooves.

Ginny StP

He's about the same today. Long weekend here, trying to get a vet is like pulling hens teeth. I done his feet as was suggested, and have been pumping mare to get extra for him. He seems to be drinking from mom, but I wasn't sure it was enough so I was feeding him as well.

Yep, the little protective slippers Marty. I just call them the little flaps on their feet, never realy knew a proper name. Am in and out today so thanks for any and ALL input. Have a blessed Lord's Day.

Marty, when the foals are born they have a very soft white hoof covering that wears off as they get up and move around..I have never heard them called flaps but are called sometimes golden slippers etc..I have heard they are to protect the dams from damage from the foals hoofs. How is Holly??

smile.gif
Silver, we don't breed anymore, not for at least 20 yrs but I can tell by your post you are really attached to him already and want to wish you the best of luck.

When things settle down may we see a picture of the little guy?

Maxine

It is with great sadness that I share with you the loss of our little colt. He went to sleep and didn't wake up. He seemed at rest, and not the least bit uncomfortable, I certainly cannot say that for myself though. He never did get circulation in the lower parts of his limbs I don't think as they never did warm up. We fed him with a syringe from the beginning as he couldn't stand to nurse. When we tried standing him he would flop over on his back end, and wouldn't use his left leg at all. I still don't know what was wrong, but I do know he was comfortable while he was here. I am teary as I write so must get along now. Thank you all for your suggestions and God bless.

I am so sorry to hear about your colt.
no.gif
I was hoping for some good news on him. My thoughts are with you.

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping he would have been seen by the vet and recovering by now. So sad. I am so sorry for you.
no.gif

I'm so sorry to hear this.

The two foals we lost last year were very cold--one more so than the other--only ours died within an hour of birth. They were just weak from congenital hypothyroidism, thanks to an iodine deficiency and possibly nitrate issue with the mares.

Even if you could have gotten the vet out right away, I doubt there's anything that could have been done for your baby. It didn't sound like joint ill or septicemia to me. When a foal is cold in its extremities it means the blood isn't circulating properly, indicating a sluggish system. Foals born with rhino go much the same way; they are already dying at birth & just fade away.

I know how helpless & heartbroken you are feeling about now.

Latest posts

Back