New Colt born yesterday, Color help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
We had a new colt born yesterday morning, Mom is solid black, sire is a black & white pintaloosa. When he was wet I thought solid black, then as he dried he lightened up, so now I am debating between bay or a darker buckskin........which I can't figure out with the dam and sire being the colors they are.

Would love opinions on his color!

4-24-08foals034MediumWebview.jpg

4-24-08foals036MediumWebview.jpg

4-24-08foals042MediumWebview.jpg

Here is his sire:

IMG_5177MediumWebview.jpg

Is there any way that the dam could be a dark bay instead of black? Genetically speaking, you just can't get a bay (which is what your foal looks to be) out of two black parents. Or maybe the stallion is the dark bay?

Cute baby....with lots of possibilites.
default_yes.gif

Either one of the parents could actually be "smokey black" and carry the creme gene.

Or...either one of the parents could actually be a black/bay and carry agouti.

So, your little guy could be Bay, smokey black, dark buckskin, or could end up just plain black.
default_wink.png

I was so concentrated on the color question that I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!
default_biggrin.png

Congrats on your new addition..... I would also say black but who knows with these little ones...

Really a cutie, Michele. It was a colt day, for sure
default_smile.png

Congratulations!

Peggy

Not a color expert. But I thought you had to have dark legs in and the characteristics there to have a buckskin. I would say bay myself.

Congrats! He's cute!

I would guess you've got a cute little bay! (I'm looking at both his coat and the color of the tufts in his ears.)

Latest posts

Back