Quantcast

New Colt born yesterday, Color help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
We had a new colt born yesterday morning, Mom is solid black, sire is a black & white pintaloosa. When he was wet I thought solid black, then as he dried he lightened up, so now I am debating between bay or a darker buckskin........which I can't figure out with the dam and sire being the colors they are.

Would love opinions on his color!

Here is his sire:

Magic

Reaction score
Is there any way that the dam could be a dark bay instead of black? Genetically speaking, you just can't get a bay (which is what your foal looks to be) out of two black parents. Or maybe the stallion is the dark bay?

Dona

Reaction score
Cute baby....with lots of possibilites.

Either one of the parents could actually be "smokey black" and carry the creme gene.

Or...either one of the parents could actually be a black/bay and carry agouti.

So, your little guy could be Bay, smokey black, dark buckskin, or could end up just plain black.

Magic

Reaction score
I was so concentrated on the color question that I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!

Keri

Reaction score
Not a color expert. But I thought you had to have dark legs in and the characteristics there to have a buckskin. I would say bay myself.

Congrats! He's cute!

Miniv

Reaction score
I would guess you've got a cute little bay! (I'm looking at both his coat and the color of the tufts in his ears.)