new colt born on the 25th

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
This little guy was born on May 25th. His dam is J & S Estates Bookers Lady and his sire is Essence. His sire is grey and his dam is a gray and white pinto. His sires dam is a cremello. He has a dorsal stripe. What color is he?

Leslie

th_DSCN1279.jpg

Congratulations on your new colt. It is hard to say for sure what color he is with such a small pic, but he looks silver to me.

DSCN1279.jpg

I took the thumbnail code out of the photobucket URL for you...
default_smile.png

Is the mare silver dapple pinto as opposed to actual gray?

Do you have photos of both dam and sire?

From that photo, he almost looks silver buckskin... but that may just be the lighting...
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tagalong for making the picture bigger
default_smile.png

Here are pics of the sire and dam, they're not recent. The sire gets light (white) in the summer and i've noticed on the dam that one of her grey patches has a lot of white hairs mixed in.

Eli-1.jpg
[/img]

DSCN0605_edited-2.jpg
[/img]

You will find many foals of various colors born with what appears to be a 'dorsal stripe' but it is not in the sense of the word used with the 'dun' colorations. A dun dorsal stripe will go down into the tail etc... The one pic of the stud is certainly silver dapple and the mare appears she carries a silver gene too, though it is hard for me to tell exactly what.

Your foal appears as silver dapple as they come- that mare is not 'gray' or she would be fading out to white all over with no pinto spotting left showing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments and the color help
default_smile.png

Oh, here's another question. What color would he be called when going by the AMHR colors for registration? They don't have silver, this is what's listed.

Bay

Brown

Buckskin/Golden Dun

Chestnut

Cremello

Dun

Grey

Grullo

Palomino

Red Dun

Roan

Sorrel

White

Leslie

Oh good grief.... well, by their list of colors I would have to pick 'gray' then.....

Latest posts

Back