New color test available

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but that is way too long to wait for me.

I am thankful to know from Animal Genetics that it will be done within the week.

Are you sure it includes the colour testing??
default_unsure.png

On the order tests page it says ;

Our new VeriSNP™ universal genetic evaluation includes many disease and trait (ex. color) tests in various species including but not limited to, dog and cat colors and diseases, more horse colors and diseases.

Edited to say; I am presuming ex. means excluding?? Or is it example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it includes the colour testing??
default_unsure.png
On the order tests page it says ;

Our new VeriSNP™ universal genetic evaluation includes many disease and trait (ex. color) tests in various species including but not limited to, dog and cat colors and diseases, more horse colors and diseases.

Edited to say; I am presuming ex. means excluding?? Or is it example?
If you read on down, it says the following:

VeriSNP™ for Horses includes:

Identity/Parentage Markers

Cream dilution

Red (Chestnut)

Tobiano

Silver

Sabino 1

Agouti (Bay)

Champagne

Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis (HYPP)

Lethal White Overo (OLWS)

Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency (GBED)

Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa (JEB)

HERDA (HERDA-QH)

Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (PSSM)

Understanding your VeriSNP™ Results in Horses

-/- IS NEGATIVE - The horse does not possess the physical attribute and/or disease being tested and therefore will not pass it to its offspring.

+/- IS A CARRIER - The horse carries the physical attribute and/or disease being tested and has one normal gene and one affected gene and therefore will pass the trait to 50% of its offspring.

+/+ IS POSITIVE - The horse carries the physical attribute and/or disease being tested and has two affected genes and therefore will pass the trait to 100% of its offspring.

Joanne, I understand your concern with the time. I have recently sent tests in to Animal Genetics as time was in improtant factor, in one case determining if I used a stallion for breeding this season or not, and in another case determining if I had a colt DNAed at the time I had him registered. However, in cases that are not essential to know the results immediately, I can afford to wait for the results and save on cost. Every new idea is slow getting started and with success, things speed up.

I recently bought a Black yearling with chrome. For $40, I will learn if she carries LWO, Cream, Sabino 1, and if she carries Tobiano (many in her line are very minimally marked) or if she is possibly homozygous for Tobiano (unlikely) and Black. At Animal Genetics, that would cost me $125. I'm in no rush as it will be at least two more years before I will consider breeding her. Regardless of the results, she will be staying here, I'm just curious.

Another I'm testing is a Silver Black mare I just bought. She is already bred, so no immediate need to know before breeding. I know she is NOT homozygous for Silver as her sire is Black and White (L&D Scout). Obviously Agouti is NOT present. She COULD be homozygous for Black and there is the POSSIBILITY of Cream as there is Palomino in her dam's pedigree that could easily have hidden in Black for a couple of generations. She also has a few minimal white hairs that MAY be explained by testing. No rush on her either.

The third I am testing at this time is a Sorrel Pinto mare. I already know she is LWO negative and is heterozygous for Tobiano (did those tests with Animal Genetics before she was ever bred the first time). I am curious about Sabino 1, Agouti, and Silver. There are three tests that would cost me $75 with Animal Genetics that I'm getting for $40. IF she is negative for Silver and Agouti, then the only test I will need to do on her Sorrel Pinto daughter is Tobiano, as she could not have inherited those from her Black Pinto sire.

IF money were no object, I would send in everything to Animal Genetics and have the results back in a week. Unfortunately, money is an object for me.
default_biggrin.png

The thought of having a bunch of tests done at such a low price is certainly appealing.

Over the years though there have been many questions raised about that labs accuracy.

I certainly know any lab will make a mistake from time to time, but as my reputation and my own breeding program is important to me, at this point I feel safer going with the one I know and trust, Animal Genetics.

I would hate to sell a horse based on a certain lab result and have it come back to bite me.

Also, time is a huge factor for me. Sometimes I am deciding if I will buy or sell a horse based on these results. Waiting that long is not an option.

I certainly understand it in your case as you have already bought the horse and have time to wait as you are not using her for a few years.

I heard rumors that this lab is not so trustworthy...

Money gone and no test results...

Anyone already tested there?

Latest posts

Back