New calf with odd growth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
So one of my herefords delivered a lovely bull calf this afternoon but he has a rediculously large mass inbetween his hind kegs. It is not an umbilical hernia as his cord broke clean upon delivery and there is no bump in that area. This mass looks like a scrotum from a full grown bull. I tried to manipulate it back into his abdomen like you would a hernia but it is hard and wont budge. He came out like this too, it didnt just develop after birth as I had to pull him out and it was there during delivery. I am bringing him to the vet first thing in the morning as she couldn't see him tonight But needs to look at it. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?20140407_162932.jpg20140407_162829.jpg20140407_162824.jpg

Odd... my guess, and a guess is all it is , based on your description and the pictures, is maybe it is an undeveloped twin. I have seen pictures before of calves born with an extra leg or extra something else. I will be interested in hearing what your vet has to say when she sees it.

I thought it looked like a hernia at first glance. Would be interested to know. Bull calves are sky high right now. Folks panic buying. Same calf we couldn't get enough money for to cover shipping to auction is now bringing 3.00$ a lb and a smallish bull calf is bringing 300$. Best wishes. The twin idea is very interesting thought.

No clue.....I was thinking his intestines when I read it, but thats not what it looks like. I would love to hear what the vet has to say...... cute calf, hope he does ok.

I have no idea, never seen anything like it, but my first guess would be a severe scrotal hernia. Please do let us know what the vet tells you, if he can figure it out.

So I brought little bully calf to the vet this morning. It was an omental hernia that caused his intestines to loop into his scrotum. I had him humanely euthanized as he was unable to pass manure and was in writhing pain. We tried manipulating it back into place to no avail. It was not fixable as upon examination it had multiple adhesions that must have formed inutero. My vet said she has never seen one that bad. I am trying to stick a bull calf from the neighboring dairy farm under his mom and see if she'll nurse it.20140408_092901.jpg20140408_092857.jpg

aww darn I'm sorry. I'm so glad you took him for help. I hope your cow will be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you lost him. Good luck grafting a calf onto the cow.

Interesting to know what it was. Thanks for the update, I'm so sorry you lost him but at least he was lucky enough to be born where someone cared enough to try to help and to end his pain when he couldn't be fixed.

Thank you for the support everyone. I picked up my holstein bull calf tonight and so far momma is grooming him and tolerating him trying to nurse. He is so much taller than the hereford calves that he has to crouch to reach her its funny to watch. I had put a blanket on the first calf because he was cold, so I put that blanket on the new one and it seems like its working so far.20140408_183841.jpg

Sorry for the loss, that's too bad. A freak thing for sure. Sorry little guy......
default_thumbdown.gif

Latest posts

Back