New boy is finally home!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Horse Lover

Reaction score
So it all started a few months or so ago, I regularily (like at least a few times every week since about 2005)check one of my mini-friend's/local breeder's website to just check out her horses and see what new horses/foals she has, etc. Well I always check out all her pages on her website including the For Sale page and this one horse in particular caught my eye. I realized he was a half brother to my gelding Kowboy, who's a couple years younger, and just felt drawn to him. I never went on her for sale page with the intention or even a thought to buy, I just like to look at the horses she has. Also note, she wasn't the owner of him, she was just advertising him on her website. Well his price was $1,000++ which is way past what I can afford, and that doesn't include gelding him (as I'm not interested in owning any studs, I love my geldings!). So, I had to push away the thought of owning him, even though I was so drawn to him, as there was no way I could afford that expensive of a horse. So fast forward a couple months and I check the for sale page again like I usually do and his price was dropped about half, but alas....still too much for me. Fast forward again a couple months and one day I check and his price is dropped again....well still a little too much for me as technically I don't "need" another mini. A couple weeks or so goes by and I check....his price is dropped yet again, and now looking more do-able for me....well now we're talking!!!!
default_smile.png
Now, around here, minis aren't very popular and it can be really hard to sell them, especially with this economy and how hard it is to find good jobs around here, unless you have good advertising you pretty much have to sell for next to nothing. So I email my friend who's advertising him and ask her about him, she doesn't know much as she hadn't seen him for a pretty long time and this lady who was the owner had had him for 5+ years. So I call the lady who was his owner and due to some personal reasons was really anxious to get him sold. I made her an offer and we worked out a deal, I would get him on a gelding contract (works for me!). She would even haul him to me, as I didn't have any way to transport him myself. The only thing was I had to wait until her driveway/road wasn't so icy/deep with snow so she could make it in/out without getting stuck. So long story short Sunday he finally came home! Now I had only seen the pictures taken a year(+) ago so basically bought him sight unseen, which I don't recommend but this was a special case where after the first day I saw the pictures of him it just felt right and like he was meant to be mine. The lady did warn me the day before that he was a bit "wild" and "dirty" and he needed his feet trimmmed but I knew it's nothing I can't handle and with the "connection" I felt with him I didn't care.

So Sunday he finally arrives and I walk onto the trailer to get him, he was shaking and nervous but that's to be expected after being at his old home for so long and not being handled much at all, he was just used as a stud with her. He looked a little "rough" and I could tell would be needing some good TLC. I lead him to the barn, which he lead pretty well considering.... I put him in his stall and to let him settle in while I signed some paperwork and talked to the gal for a little while. After she left I caught him and brought him out to look him over a little closer.....well his feet were very long and his coat could use some work. He lost some body mass (muscle and fat) since the pictures that he was advertised with were taken but nothing some good TLC won't fix. After getting him out and looking him over I couldn't stand the long hooves so I trimmed him right then, he was such a GENTLEman! Perfect for me the whole time with all four feet! I than brushed him and clipped his bridle path, he was PERFECT! Didn't mind the clippers at all. He coudln't have behaved better and he hadn't even been home an hour yet! He's a little shy and wary, and shakes/quivers while your petting him, he flinches everytime you lift your hand to pet him. So far that seems like the only thing that might take a bit of time for him to come around. He's pretty easy to catch, I have him in a big stall with a pretty big run. He leads great and has pretty good ground manners, considering. He is still as stud but he is getting gelded tomorrow morning, I can't wait till its over and done with!

Sorry bout writing a novel lol, just thought it's kinda an interesting story, I just felt like, after seeing his pictures, he was meant to be with me and now I see why, he really needed a better home. He'll join my little band of mini geldings, he'll even the number up and put me at 4 mini geldings.
default_smile.png
All pintos, two dark/tall boys and two light/short boys
default_smile.png

He is AMHR registered, born 4/20/03, and is a half brother (2 yrs. older) to my other boy "Knight Stars Kool Kowboy" (same sire). His reg name is Knight Stars Kool Dude and his barn name is "Dude", he's 35" tall (same as Kowboy) and has 1 blue eye and 1 half blue eye.

Here's a couple of the pics that he was advertised with, which is all I saw of him before he arrived home, I think taken 1+ year(s) ago:

KnightStarsKoolDude2.jpg

KnightStarsKoolDude.jpg

And here he is after he got here before I trimmed/brushed him:

107.jpg

128-1.jpg

And here he is after I trimmed/brushed him, his feet still need work but he already looks much better:

Dudeafter.jpg

Dudeafter2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Anna! He will have a great home with you! Glad it all worked out for you to get him
default_smile.png

He was obviously meant to be yours.. nice boy and will make a handsome gelding for you! I think you will find he will come around quickly and be a great horse! Congrats!

And before pics. of his feet:

160.jpg

158.jpg

And after (still need work, he should be good to go with a few more/regular trims) (I didn't have anyone holding him so bad angle):

Dudeafterfirsttrim1.jpg

Dudeafterfirsttrim.jpg

Thanks guys! He has such a cute face....
default_wub.png

Dudeafter3.jpg

Dudeafter1.jpg

As time goes on I'll post updates in the photo gallery
default_smile.png
I look forward to seeing how he looks this summer!

Congratulations and good for you for "rescuing" him! I'm sure he'll bloom under your care! Make sure to post more pictures as his health and appearance improves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him more now than from his old pictures
default_smile.png
When you clip him out and get him is show shape he is going to be one AWESOME gelding!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
I love geldings, blue eyes and black horses so I think he is a very striking boy!! Any plans of driving him? I think he'd be bold in a cart
default_wub.png
Congrats on him, he's really neat.
default_yes.gif

I like him more now than from his old pictures
default_smile.png
When you clip him out and get him is show shape he is going to be one AWESOME gelding!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I love geldings, blue eyes and black horses so I think he is a very striking boy!! Any plans of driving him? I think he'd be bold in a cart
default_wub.png
Congrats on him, he's really neat.
default_yes.gif

I love geldings as well and think he'll make an awesome one! I do plan on driving him, he was trained and was pulling a cart but was very green broke and hasn't driven in years, so we'll start from scratch this summmer. I too think he'd make a striking driving horse!
default_biggrin.png

congratulations he is beautiful , Im so glad he found you !
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations! He's a very pretty boy and will only get better with your TLC.
default_yes.gif

So much potential! He's very striking as is, but I bet with your help he'll be absolutely gorgeous by summer.

Impressive! You really did rescue him. Did a nice job on his feet, too. I swear, you just want to kiss that cute little nose. He is adorable!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

He sure is a handsome chap and he is very lucky that he found you! I can't wait to see him blossom under your care. Well done!
aktion033.gif

I am so happy for you and him! He's lovely.
wub.gif

We have 4 but ours are all mares. 4 is a good number
yes.gif

Thanks guys! This morning he finally joined the world of Geldings
default_smile.png
Everything went very well and he's nappin' in his stall
default_smile.png
Sooo glad its finally done! The vet really liked him and kept commenting on how handsome and sweet he is
default_smile.png

Congratulations. He's so handsome.
default_wub.png
So glad he found you.

I love geldings too....and mares and stallions...but geldings best of all.

Latest posts

Back