New baby calves!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilac Lane Farm

Reaction score
[attachmentid=207] Girl on left Boy on right. We just picked up to new twin calves from my friends and they are sooo cute!
default_wub.png
They were just calved yesterday(July 23). They are Guernseys, my friends that I had gotten them from have a dairy farm. So I had to give Colleen her sleeping cots back that I had borrowed for a horse show, and then my mom and I had seen them laying down next to their mother. Then we asked them what they were going to do with them and they had said they were going to sell them sence they were twins the hormone from the male gave the female a 90% chance that she would not reproduce. So they said we could take them home and keep them as pets and so we did! The female was calved and then 10 hours later a bull arrived! Sence she had calved the bull so late he now has flem in his lungs but he is getting better.
default_biggrin.png

Madison

calves.jpg

YAY a fellow calve grower
default_biggrin.png
They are so cute!!!! I know you will have lots of fun with them
default_yes.gif

Madison--congrats on your new addition! Cutie pies!! Maybe you could train them for halter obstacle and take them to a show to see if anyone notices.
default_biggrin.png

They are sooo sweet, I would love to raise a couple babies. They have the most beautiful eyes
default_wub.png

Congrats, they're adorable!! I grew up on a dairy farm and really miss it, especially raising the calves
default_yes.gif
We had a few sets of twins over the years
default_yes.gif

And your friend is right, the heifer more than likely is infertile and known as a "free-martin." It's really pretty interesting
default_yes.gif
and I did a research report on it for my college beef class.. When you have twins of a heifer and a bull, the placental fluids of the fetuses 'mix' per-say, so the blood and antigens get mixed together, the blood/antigens carry characteristics that are unique to female and to male, so when they mix the antigens opposite of what is typical for the sex can cause the fetus to develop with characteristics of the opposite sex.. Typically the male will have greatly reduced fertility, and the female over 90% of the time will be completely infertile as her reproductive tract is underdeveloped/incomplete and in some cases the heifer may possibly contain to some degree male repro. 'parts'.. The ovaries of a free-martin are much smaller than normal and they also do not produce the hormones that cause the behavioral signs of heat..

The last feeder calf I bought was a Holstein/Hereford cross twin heifer, I got her cheap as she was of no use to her breeder since she was infertile..

I love calving season here.. This spring we had 2 sets of twins and both are doing great..

We used to get a couple bottle calves each year for me to raise since I enjoy it but we havent the last couple years as we have been too busy....

Today I thought I would bring the calves outside for some excersize and they followed me all over!
default_wub.png
But the bull is still a little weak at least he is up and walking around. The heifer was running with me while the bull tried to eat the grass. And you were right about the heifer not being fully developed. Her valva isnt right. Its a little low and there is not a "slit" like normal ones, its just a little hole. But you can see where it was developing. We have this neighbor and he is such a jerk. He keeps calling the town on us about our kennel dogs. He says they are barking all night, but we lock them up at night so ther are quiet. He also complains about the horse trailer that is not bothering any other neighbors. But he is just going to love us now that we have cattle!
default_biggrin.png
Once they start getting bigger we will probably have a pasture out in our front yard just for them so he can look at them all day long! So he says our place is an eye sore now? Even though its actully not bad. Hes got another thing comming!
default_biggrin.png

But the bull is still a little weak at least he is up and walking around.
Have you had a vet check him? If he has 'fluid'/flim on his lungs he could develop pneumonia

The heifer was running with me while the bull tried to eat the grass. And you were right about the heifer not being fully developed. Her valva isnt right. Its a little low and there is not a "slit" like normal ones, its just a little hole. But you can see where it was developing
Yep, a very good example of the male hormones taking over the female development
default_yes.gif

Well havent had the vet check him yet but I think that he is getting over it. We went out lastnight to buy him some antibotics, and he is breathing a lot better. We brought them outside again today and he was trying to eat the grass. He was also walking around sooo much better than he was yesterday. My moms quarter horse Marion was being such a freak when they walked out into the aisle. I will get more pictures of them later.

Madison

Latest posts

Back