New at showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denielle johns

Reaction score
Hi, We are new to showing minis. My 8 yr old niece made it to the 4 h state show with her yrling production baby. Any advice with set up, grooming, what to do with her crazy tail, how to keep her fit with out hurting her tiny legs, any info would be wonderful.

zoey production july 31 2012.jpg

Find someone close to you, a club or breeder that also shows to help mentor you. Watch all the shows you can, with Nationals online now and I think World online in a couple of weeks. Just watch, you will learn alot that way. As for grooming for the show ring, the best thing is have someone go over with you what they do, hands on learning is the best. Its not so easy to explain everything with words, but being able to do things while your being told is much better. Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Here is the link to the AMHR Nationals going on now--http://www.flandersvideoproductions.com/streaming.asp

You can also find youtube videos of people at 4-H shows, state fairs, and open shows.

For your horses tail make sure it is getting lots of moisture-- I use Cowboy Magic Detangler because it give the tails a great shine and sleek feel. Many people braid and wrap the tails to limit damage and breakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Danielle, it's Terry, congratulations on your daughters filly making the finials, and as for her tail, Only brush it wet after washing and conditioning. with any shampoo will do, what ever you prefer, but, I like to condition it with a human conditioner such as pantene. Then brush and comb, then french braid the day before the show. For those little lose hairs at the top, slick them down with baby oil gel. My Grandsons 4-H tricounty show was this past weekend and his mini, Honey Suckle Knoll Tiawana Sungold was Champion of Champions, and this is his third year as such. These kids have so much fun grooming and showing their mini's. You have a very nice filly there. Wish I was closer to help you out more.

Latest posts

Back