New and different feed ....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest that anyone interested, take a look at the websites of a different kind of horse feed that I recently read about on a different but horse-oriented forum. I was intrigued, so went to the feed website - www.thrivefeed.com/Landing.html - (click on the various subjects on the left), and www.dalemoulton.com - which is the feed creator's website. Read all the information; see what you think. I am not advocating this for EVERY horse, but I personally really like,and pretty much agree with, the philosophies expressed and 'built in' to the making of the feed.

Through sheer coincidence, I was able to get my daughter(who was traveling in TX at the time I got the initial information on this feed, and was very near a dealer at the time)to bring me two bags. After much thought, I decided to try it on ONE horse(because I didn't have much, and the nearest dealer is between 400-500 miles away). I am so far darned impressed. The 15 YO miniature gelding on the feed is a confirmed cribber of long standing, and has had ulcer issues for years. BEFORE starting the 'THRIVE', I felt I'd finally achieved a stable situation on the ulcer issue...and that still seems the case. He was NOT in bad shape at all, just didn't look, or seem to feel, quite as good as I thought he could. He has now been on the feed for about 3 1/2 weeks(along with, as suggested on the website by the maker, plenty of good forage hay)-which he was already getting, but now, he cleans it ALL up, even though he now gets just the merest hint of alfalfa at each hay feed; before, he was getting a generous amount,nearly half by weight of his hay feedings. This horse had NOTICABLY filled out along his top line. He just 'looks' much better, even though he has been inactive over the winter and is certainly not in 'athletically fit' condition. His whole demeanor seems more calm, relaxed, comfortable in his skin, so to speak.

I am about to be able to obtain another 10-12 bags of this feed(thanks to my wonderful daughter, who likes to take road trips and will combine a trip to central TX to see an old high school friend with picking this feed up for me!) I REALLY want to be able to give this feed a decent 'trial use' on one or two of my other horses...ones that have no health/well-being issues...to see what results. (I did put a cribbing collar 'back' on the first horse at about the same time I started him on the 'THRIVE', and realize there is no way to tell how much of this improvement *might* be due to his being prevent from cribbing...), so I want to start w/ a 'clean slate', so to speak. All of my other horses are doing well and looking well, but...I want to see if they can do and look even better...plus,I am attracted to the simplicity of feeding, and claimed safety in feeding, of the 'THRIVE'.It, plenty of good forage(grass hay/grazing), fresh drinking-temp water, access to salt...no mixing this, that, the other...no molasses, etc.

I realize that everyone has somewhat different circumstances in their 'horsekeeping'and that for any number of reasons, this feed might not appeal to some. I just am, so far at least, impressed enough both by the feed and the feeding philosophies (even though I've followed some of the more recent 'trends', such as added fat,etc.,right along with everyone else), I have wondered about the probability of 'real' benefit from such.) The more I study and learn, the more I agree with the notion that horses are best off eating as CLOSE to the way and the 'stuff' they evolved to eat, in every way possible."THRIVE' starts w/ quality alfalfa, then TIMOTHY grass...there is only one actual 'grain'--sorghum--along w/ soy, rice bran, kelp, and a host of vit/min. Alfalfa, a legume, while not something you'd GRAZE horses on when in growth mode, is one of the best all-around nutritive plant sources around. Again, read for yourself, decide.

FWIW...All of my horses now LOVE the 'THRIVE'; I've offered it as a 'treat' out of hand to all; some were surprised by the 'mouth feel'at first, but ALL now eagerly take it.

I would love to hear if anyone else has tried it?! 'THRIVE' is not in wide distribution; almost all the dealers are in TX. Word I've heard is that the TSCs may carry it...that some customers have been requesting it.

I actually found samples of a somewhat 'similar' product at one of my area feed stores just the other day. Seems the 'CEO' had been by to hand out samples, brochures, encourage them to carry it. Formula first seemed 'similar' to the 'THRIVE', but I was not interested when I saw the 2nd ingredient was CORN, which I do not like in horse feed-especially as such a primary ingredient(as it is in MANY horse feeds, though not necessarily well-recognized.) This one appears AZ-based. Something tells me that this concept of a 'processed' feed may spread, though...JMHO, of course.

Anyway...hoping to open a thoughtful discusssion....

(Disclaimer: I am in NO way connected with "THRIVE" feed or its maker.)

Margo in NM...where it feels like half the state is on fire...please, pray for rain in AZ and NM and all the drought-stricken areas of the US which are so under threat of devastating fire!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't appear to be available in OK, so it's hard to comment on it. I'd like more info. I went to the website and while interesting, there was a lot of info lacking.

How is it packaged? How do you feed it? What is the cost?

I'd certainly like to hear more.

Did you happen to take before and after pics? That would be pretty interesting to see.

If you go to both websites and read ALL the information there, you will find the answers to the questions you have asked. I can answer a couple, though, from my reading there, as well as some email exchanges w/ the lady who first posted about it, and with Dale Moulton, the feed's creator.

It is packaged in 40# bags. It is an extruded, crunchy but not too 'light', 'puff', not a pellet.It absorbs water almost immediately, unlike most extruded HARD pelleted feeds-so would be ready to feed almost immediately if there was any need to feed it 'wet'.I always taste feed: this is very tasty...like a combo of fresh alfalfa and fresh grass!

. The maker urges that you NOT mix any other feeds with it; that it is complete and balanced in and of itself. It appears that it *can* be the only thing fed...has been used as such in rehab cases, especially, though I don't really know if it is recommended that one could use it as the 'only' feed 'forever'.(The maker says that he welcomes contact and questions, as I recall, so you could ask him!)He stresses the safety of the feed; if the horse got out and got into the 'Thrive', it would not be in the danger that it would if it got into the grain bin.(On his personal website, there is a lengthy list of FAQs and his answers, which is helpful.)

I paid $18.50/bag for the two bags my daughter got in Denton, but that certainly doesn't 'guarantee' that it would be that price 'everywhere'! I would describe it as 'not cheap', but IMO, worth it for the results I've seen so far.Yes, absolutely the limited distribution is a BIG issue! Ask your local TSC about carrying it; I've been told it is being considered, and that having people ask for it HELPS! Heck, I'm STILL 165 miles from the NEAREST TSC...but that would be a lot closer that the over-400 miles distance I am from the current nearest dealer in Abilene! If I continue to be as impressed as I am now, I will be contacting TSC to request that they carry it, for sure!

Recommended feeding is 4-6 lb./day for a 1,000 lb. horse. I asked the maker, and he confirmed that it should be fine to 'transpose downward' for smaller/lighter weight horses. So...my little 'ulcer' horse(who I would describe as a bit of a 'hard keeper' and weighs @ 225 lb.) is getting 1 lb/day, although I am starting to realize that he could probably 'do' with a bit less, because I believe he has filled out enough, and could begin to appear a bit 'fat'. The maker pointedly states that you do not NEED other feeds or supplements mixed with Thrive,and that 'mixing' *could* actually cause digestive upset. (I AM still giving soaked beet pulp, though NOT at the same time nor even in close time proximity to,'Thrive', to this horse,with no issues.)

I feed 'Thrive' in two feedings/day; half in the AM a while after AM hay;the other half in the late evening WITH the late evening, largest-of-every-24-hrs., hay feed. I feed a light feed of hay only at about 4-5 PM, then soaked beet pulp about 1- 1 1/2 hrs. later, then 'late' hay after 10 PM.

Edited to add...in response to wingnut's question: No, I did not take pictures. As I said, this horse was not at ALL in 'bad' shape, so photos would not offer 'proof'. What I can tell you is that I have been with this horse every day of his life, I know him VERY well, I have a very good 'eye' for such things(no brag, just fact), and I have absolutely seen what is to me a clear, albeit subtle,improvement.

There ARE some rescue horse photos on one or the other(or both?)of the websites I cited, which do show 'anybody can see', profound, improvement in condition.

Margo

Margo: My hard keeper sounds like yours. She's not "skin and bones" but has a defined "ridge" on her topline and her hips are too prominent for my liking. I would love to give this a try but there is nothing close to me at all. I'll be looking for further updates from you!

There is a new feed that is out on a trial basis right now that is starting to go like wild fire in the Reining world. I have my horses on it now. Every thing that one could want as far as a feed and supplements are already incorporated in this pelleted feed. along with the fact that it is VERY fresh.

My horses are starting to get their summer coats and I have never seen so many dapples. I started it with a select few horses and now have my entire herd on it I can not wait to see a herd of dapples.

The name of the food is Gen X. If others would like to try it and are in the mid west right now, I can get some to you through the developer. The trials are between Minnesota all the way down to Texas right now. The top winning reining horse is on this feed. I also know that they will be in Georgia and around that corridor in the near future.

I am not involved with this feed, just got lucky to be able to try it. I think it is selling at about $15.00 or $16.00 a bag. The backs have filled in on all of the horses I have had it on and am looking to see if it works well on all of my horses, including the yearling colts who are so hard to keep wight on.

Hi Margo guess what??????? Nope it wasn't me personally but I know someone who decided to try it on a horse that was very needy. I'm just not sold on this. Although the theory is there as on any other food, I honestly have to say I do not think there is a miracle in this any more than any other good food program could do. This is my personal opinion of course but I think its over rated.

I know a ton of big horse rescues that use it and rave about it. It is though hard to get due to distribution. We tried to get it here in Ohio but doing a coop of rescues but it was just too expensive once you added transport to get it here. I have seen horses that it had amazing results on

I kinda agree with Marty except that the Thrive tends to get weight on quicker than other feeds.

Latest posts

Back