New AMHA showmanship patterns/rules help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dali1111

Reaction score
Ok, so these new AMHA showmanship patterns have me confused. It's not actually the new patterns that confuse me but rather what you are supposed to do before and after the pattern. With the original three patterns you entered the ring counter clockwise and lined up side by side at the direction of the ringmaster, did your pattern when it was your turn, and returned to your spot in line. We have only had one show so far this year and it was done very different for the new patterns. I entered both Amateur and Adult showmanship. I can't remember exactly which of the new patterns were used. In both classes we entered clockwise which was different than the other patterns. In Amateur we lined up head to tail which confused me being used to lining up side by side. The first person did their pattern and then went to the back of the line instead of their original spot and everyone just moved up the line until everyone had gone and the first person that went was back at the front of the line. Then the ringmaster had us turn so we were side by side. Then in the Adult class we were lined up side by side, walked to A from our spot (we had to walk in front of, and past the other exhibitors to get to A), completed our pattern, and rather than going in a straight line away from the judge like it says in the rulebook proceeded directly back to our spot in the line up. I realize that with the new patterns requiring cones, the line up will have to change a bit but I can't imagine it's supposed to be different for every class/pattern. So I guess my question is what are we actually supposed to do when entering the ring, before we complete our pattern, and after we complete our pattern with these new patterns? Any help is greatly appreciated. Showmanship used to be one of my favourite classes but now I'm just confused.

The patterns are from the classic shetland part of the rulebook - check out pages 189, 190, and 191. The patterns and the entry procedure are detailed there. I found that out last weekend at a show when the show manager gave me a copy of the pattern, and I asked where it came from! : )

I also had an issue with a judge not knowing where to stand for pattern 4 the first time I had to do it (Denison, IA). Ended up we had to either do a 1 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn (judge was on the wrong side of the arena). I went for the 1 1/2, the other person did the 1/4, we split the class with the 4 judges. . . So I think the judges haven't all quite got it figured out either.

The patterns are from the classic shetland part of the rulebook - check out pages 189, 190, and 191. The patterns and the entry procedure are detailed there. I found that out last weekend at a show when the show manager gave me a copy of the pattern, and I asked where it came from! : )

I also had an issue with a judge not knowing where to stand for pattern 4 the first time I had to do it (Denison, IA). Ended up we had to either do a 1 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn (judge was on the wrong side of the arena). I went for the 1 1/2, the other person did the 1/4, we split the class with the 4 judges. . . So I think the judges haven't all quite got it figured out either.
I think you may have missed that my question was about the new AMHA patterns not AMHR or ASPC. I didn't know AMHR had new ones too. I will take a look at those pages as I am doing an AMHR show in August so your info was still helpful. Thanks.

I think you may have missed that my question was about the new AMHA patterns not AMHR or ASPC. I didn't know AMHR had new ones too. I will take a look at those pages as I am doing an AMHR show in August so your info was still helpful. Thanks.

OOPs, sorry bout that!
default_wacko.png
Haven't shown AMHA, so guess I'm not very much help.
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back