New Addition & Color Help Please ---> PICS added pg 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Well after shopping around I found a mare that I believe would be a nice addition to my mare herd. This is Honey, she is an AMHA registered (will be taking advantage of AMHR's half price hardship this year for her) mare born in 2005 who stands 32" tall and is a proven mare having produced a buckskin minimal pinto colt, a solid palomino (I can't exactly tell by the pic but I'm pretty sure) colt and a solid bay filly. She's a doll of a mare and I am happy with her. She's currently in southern GA but I will be picking her up in two weeks - she's already completely paid for and I have permission to use the photos and will get new ones once she's here and cleaned up.

After Missy having her second red bag delivery and placentitis and losing her second foal, I'm still heavily considering retiring her so I needed a replacement for her, and since selling Missy isn't an option she will live out a long life here as a nanny if I decide to do so.

I am getting Honey's registered name and pedigree information together to post on here and will do so ASAP when I get home.

In the meantime - what color is this girl? She almost looks like a silver buckskin, but in her woolies she looks a strange color. She doesn't have blue eyes either so that eliminates a few options I believe, I've just never seen a horse have that kind of colorig! I gave you a close up of her muzzle so you can see what that looks like too.....

**Please excuse pictures - these are the ones of her I have on hand at the office and they aren't so flattering**

honey2.jpg

honey.jpg

honey3.jpg

honey4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Not sure of the color except she is a PINTO - I see a tobiano spot on her rump and of course the white socks are from some pinto pattern. What color is the sire of the foals? Taking a stab at the color I would guess silver buckskin pinto, but that is just a wild guess. What do her papers say? Not that they would be correct....

I don't have access to the AMHA records book but her number is #A162065 if anyone wants to look it up so they can know right now. I would have to go back and look on her copy back at the house to tell you what they say exactly as far as color. Yes she is a minimal tobiano with that marking on her rump. I believe the sire of all three foals was a silver bay, would have to go back in emails and find out for sure.

I was thinking silver buckskin pinto as well but wasn't sure?

oh oh oh she is a pretty girl. COngrats Katie!

I'm 100% sure she has the silver gene! She could be silver buckskin like you said but I had a foal once who was silver dun that looked a lot like her. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures anymore of that foal/filly but does you mare have a dorsal strip?

No color help here, but congrats!! She's lovely
default_wub.png

She does not look like a silver buckskin to me, she looks like a silver grulla. She's almost the same shade as the silver grulla filly i had a few years ago. Congrats on your new nare!

Wow silver grulla, really? She doesn't have a dorsal or leg barring so I didn't even think about grulla.....I will get better pictures Sunday for y'all to see.

With her producing a palomino, bay and buckskin (and I am pretty sure that the sire is the silver bay she had on the property) - does that support the silver grulla theory? Also if I wanted to have her tested, what genes would be most important to run her for?

Thank you guys for the compliments - it's nice to have a new addition to help cope with the loss of the filly and this mare is a sweetheart just like Missy and Allula so I am looking forward to loving on her TONS. Not to mention she has the quality in comformation I was looking for and I'll be able to show y'all once she's cleaned up.

Here is some pedigree information on her.......If anyone has any pictures/information on the following horses I'd greatly appreciate you telling/sharing the information!

"Fox Hollow Honey Comb"

AMHA# A 162065

Grandsire:
Equus Minus Bobby Joe
Sire: Checkmate Flashing Fury

Granddam:
Checkmates Flash Dance
Grandsire:
Oak Forest Superstition
Dam: Fox Hollow Savannah Princess

Granddam:
Martys Little Princess

I would say silver smokey grulla then
default_smile.png
My silver grulla had a faint dorsal and no other characteristics. Have seen quite a few silver buckskins and she just doesn't fit, though i never say never when it comes to minis and colors!

Appears silver dapple to me.... congrats on your new purchase!

I would say smokey silver dapple. I had a colt this color. He was really stunning. He was also a funny color in winter coat. I have pics of him if you'd like to see. He was by a perlino, out of a silver dapple appy mare.

Brown based silver buckskin as opposed to bay based would be my gut reaction from these photos. Notice how light her muzzle is and her other "soft" parts. Her mane is mostly over her eyes in the photos but she appears to be lighter around the eyes as well. All tip offs to a brown base color.

He's changed color abit since coming here, but we suspect that my little stallion is a silver brownskin (silver plus cream on brown base, instead of regular bay base).

Che` when he arrived in Nov 2007:

machemontanamyfavorite - 11-18-07 - taken by susan.jpg

Summer 2008 (He might have been clipped before this pic, I can't remember):

Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - left.jpg

Jan 2012 (in his stall, so poor lighting):

Che` - Jan 3, 2012.jpg

and, May 2012 (after a clip - head and necked a few weeks previous):

Che` - May 19, 2012 - haircut.jpg

Picture is a bit dark, and fresh clip, so little time for natural color to come back.

[Didn't test for silver but he did test Aa, nCr; so heterozygous for cream and agouti.]

Just for reference, my silver grulla:

Rosemary12.jpg

P1030753.jpg

I think you need to test and then post the results
default_smile.png

Double Post

The AMHA has her listed as a Buckskin Pinto -- from a Black Roan Pinto sire (Black roan x solid black) out of a grey pinto mare (grey pinto x solid buckskin). This is impossible, since the buckskin requires a cream gene to have been present in one of the parents, and neither parent's color as listed is carrying a cream gene. So, once again, the registry colors are incorrect. I have listed the colors in "name" in case someone doesn't understand all the AMHA abbreviations, but several of the colors listed in the pedigree cannot have produced the color the offspring is listed as.

So, the registry information is no help -- except with educated guessing as to what the true colors of some of these horses probably were.
Don't forget that grey pinto mare could have been born buckskin and went grey, so the genetics could be there. Grey can cover any base color along with their modifications and dilutions.

But, yes, registration papers are notorious for color errors.

And the Grey could be Silver Black, in fact most probably is!

I think she is a Silver Buckskin or Brownskin, Dun. the Dun does seem to take the Dappling right off and give that all over smooth coat.

I think she is silver buckskin with dun factor.Very pretty color! Congratulations
default_yes.gif

Okay so I am hearing the following suggestions on her....

• silver buckskin pinto
  • silver buckskin with dun factor pinto
  • silver grulla
  • smokey silver dapple
  • silver dapple

Looking at her I don't see silver dapple of any kind in her whatsoever, especially when you see her in person. In her pictures her "winter woolies" show her silver pattering but in her summer coat she is WAY too golden coloured to be a true silver dapple, or a smokey silver dapple.

So if I wanted to know FOR SURE what she was, I would get her tested but WHICH tests would be most valuable for learning her true color? Obviously I'm testing her for cream, silver and dun......but what else should I do?

Maybe once I get better pictures of her and upload them you guys will be able to determine a better guesstimate of what her color is.......

Latest posts

Back