Neverending Saga: Life with A German Shepherd Puppy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
As she looks up at me with those adorable black eyes, she tilts her head to the side ever so sweetly, squats right down in front of me as if to say “Mommy I wuf you” …. And then takes a pee………AMY!!!!!!! We just peed outside not five minutes ago!!!!!! Let the good times roll.

And so it is…..life with puppy Amy, who is now tipping the scales at 25 pounds at 15 weeks old; long, lanky, and skinny as can be; never a dull moment. When she’s not chasing butterflies, begging someone to play catch with her, she’s target practicing. And oh, she’s doing very well. Just the other day she pooped in Dan’s favorite shoe! Yup, right on target, but not quite a perfect score. She made two turds out of five go right inside the heel. Oh please don’t tell Dan! I’ve already lied to him about certain things that went missing from his room, but actually, I think he’s onto me already. Took me all day long to clean those shoes.

I’m busy too! Very busy, down on my hands and knees scrubbing away her accidents. But at least we seem to be holding at 3 a day on an average. Can’t seem to get that last 3 out the back door in time. It’s kinda like an old lady on water pills. When you gotta go, you gotta go NOW! And that means, she can’t wait for a commercial when you are watching a great movie and it’s about to climax. Nope, it means NOW….open that door or you will see Lake Titicaca gush through your kitchen in seconds.

Did I mention that Amy loves to eat? She loves to eat things besides the furniture. So far, she has had a variety of puppy foods, bones, and treats, but her favorite meal is horse poop. You can find her on any given day romping through the fields with a mouthful of high protein, energy packed, recycled horse food bulging inside her cheeks. A fine dining cuisine at it’s best.

Oh, poor Devin. He’s growing old and tired, but still the crabby, nasty dispositioned junk yard dog that Hus adores. Amy is abusing him terribly! She rides him like a cowboy. She bites his tail. She gets right up in his face and barks and barks and barks. She rams him and jumps all over him and on top of him and uses him as a launching pad for her to soar off into outer space. Poor old doggy can’t even take a good nap around here anymore. He is really trying to maintain his composure, but it’s dangling on a thread.

What happened to that puppy that was going to be my best friend, my contant companion who would never leave my side? Where's that loyal puppy that was going to listen to my problems, console me when I can't stop crying, and lay across my feet at night? I really hope she's in there somewhere! I'm counting on it! Cause I really need her.

Nevertheless, Amy is great chair side entertainment! When she enters the room it’s like “everybody hold on to your stuff” because she’ll take anything you’ve got that’s not nailed down. Grab that pepsi bottle quick! I thought I had a baked potato on my plate! Oh my gosh, where’s my purse? Hey! That’s my ten bucks, give it back! Lookout Dan, she’s heading for your new sunglasses! She runs through the house like a bull in a china shop, sliding and skidding on the slick hardwood floor, crashing into things and looks up at us like “What?” because we can’t stop laughing at her antics. Dan gets on the floor with her and she eats his head like she’s nibbling on cob of corn. She loads up on Jerry’s lap and bites his ears, but as for me, she’s fixated with chewing on my toes!

We are great at leash training. We sit, stay, and come. We’re good. But off leash, forget it. She ignores me completely and heads for the hills. I call her; she stares right at me, and then takes off full blast in the other direction. “Betcha can’t git me!” And then the chase is on. If I’m lucky, I’ve captured her within the hour. Did I really need all this exercise? Are we having fun yet?

All and all it’s going as well as expected……I think! It could be better, but it also could be worse. Today, she posed for a photo shoot! She wanted to show you that her big, very big ears are beginning to stand up at attention.

Amy says to tell yalls to have a nice day, because no doubt, she will!

100_2985.jpg

Devin is loosing his patience!

100_2986.jpg

Awww Marty!!! Look at those ears!!!!
default_wub.png
:

LOL the joys of puppy-dom....*sigh* I too well remember the Rotti pup (who is just 8 months old)....I *think* she is pretty well house trained now! And what a huge change from princess Moxie...she was house trained in a month!!! :new_shocked:

As for the leash work, Amy sounds great!!!!! I remember the first time I put a collar on Moxie!!! LOL She absolutely FLIPPED out!! Then pouted for 2 days!!! When I put the leash on....man, not a pretty sight!!! Took me 2 months to get her to do anything that remotely looked like heeling on leash, about 4 months to get her to heel off leash (and now she is by far better off leash than on!).....but I didn't start off leash heeling until she was over a year old. And now, if I can only train Maggie the rottweiler to not roll the pretty little corgi princess over while they are playing, I'll be gold!!! :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol:

Enjoy the puppy-dom Marty....just like kids, they grow up too fast!

~kathryn

Ahhhh Marty! Your post just put a big grin on my face! Don't you just love puppyhood!! I love her pic with the ears! Wish I could add some smilies here and there but they just don't always load for me since we moved to the new site! :)

Thank you so much Marty. Honestly, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I really needed that reminder of why I adopt older dogs instead of getting puppies, lol!

She really is stunning, those ears are just beautiful. She will be worth it, eventually, I'm sure. :bgrin

Marty look at those ears and look at those paws, she is going to be big.

This too will pass and I am sure, with all your Love she will settle one day.

Enjoy the puppy raising. It can be fun
default_wub.png
: Thanks for sharing.

Your wonderful essays of your life continue to make smiles........

Just was wondering, though.......who is "training" WHO!?

:bgrin MA

She is a charicter lol. I was on the phone with Marty trying to have a conversation last week and Amy was attacking the dishwasher lol.

She is adorable, i love hearing these stories lol. She is going to be huge too!!!!! She looks so goofy with those big ears and paws, i love her!!!

PS: I took the picture of 'the rock' off my website LOL

default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
THOSE EARS MAKE ME LAUGH!!! SHE IS SUCH A DOLL. IT IS FUN WATCHING HER PICTURES AS SHE GROW!!
default_yes.gif
:

:aktion033: Marty your story is quite the giggle. :bgrin I can feel for you with your puppy. She is beautiful just a picture of the perfect colored sheppard. She is going to be a very loveing dog and you will start seeing it soon, right now she is just playing to see how far you will go. Deven doesnt seen to want to play chase with her so you have to take his place. I have never been able to figure out why they always want to chew on the one they choose as master, but that is the way it seems to work. I think I will send Bruno to see you so you can school him, he certianly does not want to do what I want him to. Of course he is only about 8 weeks old now. just now ready for his puppy shots. got to take him in to the vet soon.

Enjoy Amy she is a beauty

Oh Marty, she's got your number! What a cutie but remember YOU are the alpha femaile, you are her GOD! Without you there is no food, no runs, no toys....make her mind you. She looks at you and says, "aww she won't get mad". Insist on her respect and you'll get that dog in your heart. Great job so far, she's amazing.

Latest posts

Back