Neverending Saga: Fall cleaning at the mansion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
It's that time again; time for fall cleaning. It's at times like these when I can identify with Lily Munster, mistress of the mansion. Alas, tis no mansion at all, but rather a small, quaint, rickety old mountain home that leaves much to be desired in constant repair and upkeep. These very old homes that were built with whatever was handy at the time back in the days of slavery, have many hidden places where atrocities can settle in and take up housekeeping much easier than a newer home. But mind you, I'm not a total slob and I do dust, mop floors etc. but I'm talking about the big cleaning, the full monty; the dangerous stuff.

Twice a year I do a major cleaning in my house, spring and fall. It's the kind of cleaning that no one really likes to do or even think about, but it's inevitable. If there is any grease, grime, or yukky nasties, they are about to be exposed and meet my wrath. This is the super deep cleaning of all the things that are either let go during the course of regular daily clean ups, or just gone over with a light wipe up. The oven will be taken apart, the refrigerator and the freezer scrubbed out like new. I'll either paint the bathroom or use explosive devices in there, but one way or the other it will be a nice place to seat your tushy when I get done in there.

We all know we have cooties in our homes lurking about and we also know where they are and where the real dirt is hiding. I get in complete denial and choose to avoid this gruesome task for as long as possible, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and face the evils that lie within. If any dust gremlins or creatures have taken up residence inside my piano or under the couch, they are toast. I've been cleaning room by room, moving big furniture like a linebacker for the Rams in record time. I stand back armed with my can of Febreze in one hand, can of Raid in the other, silver bullets strapped to my chest and a vampire stake tucked into my jeans. I'm incognito. They'll never know what hit them. Closets are involved, every closet, and that usually provides for some very scary measures. I have everything pulled out of every closet in the house. Not to worry, I have a cross and an exorcism in place for those closet beasties. Whatever I been hoarding this time in those closets is about to come forward and identify itself or die. My hidden dust bunnies are about to start hopping down the bunny trail to my vacuum. My curtains are down and washing while I am scrubbing windows inside and out. Things that broke will be fixed and things that need mending will be mended. Right now, I'm about half way finished. I have the biggest mess you have ever seen. It never ceases to amaze me that I have to make such a mess just to clean up a mess. Go figure.

Today I decided to wash the living room walls down. You'd be surprised how much yuk and just plain dirt has collected on the walls so that's why I paint with semi-gloss. If you ever tried to wash down walls painted with flat paint you know that's a bummer. I got part way washing around the room and couldn't help but notice my ceilings were also disgusting. It was painted in "buckskin" to match the walls so I decided to re-paint them ceiling white. I bit off more than I can chew as usual so I bribed the resident love child to help. He came through, and brought a friend, and that let me off the hook for that task.

This cleaning ritual is a prelude to welcome fall into our home. Soon, our fall decorations will be coming out of storage and it would be a major sin to decorate a house that has not been properly prepared to receive them. To me, it's kinda like people who put up outdoor Christmas lights when their yard is brimming with junk. A mortal sin. So that's the method to my madness; to start with a really clean pallet.

After the cleaning is done, out will come the fall decorations, Halloween decor, then the Thanksgiving decorations, followed by the big one....Christmas. To me, these decorations are like old friends that I haven't seen in a year's time and I get excited unwrapping them out of tissue and placing them all around. They are more than "things." These decorations are part of our history as a family and hold memories, so they are special. We couldn't hardly do much last year at all, so this year, we are really going to try to enjoy the season as best we can.

The rooms will be warmed up with throw rugs, pillows, scented candles, and afghans draped across the couch to cover up with on a cold winter night. The big crock pot will be plunked on my kitchen counter and the cookie jar filled with seasonal offerings, most likely compliments of Mrs. Pillsbury. An assortment of pies will be baking in the oven daily thanks to Sara Lee. Ok, so I'm a cheater in the cooking department sometimes, but there is no mistaking my home made soups and stews. The music man will come to tune the piano next week which means I had better alot some time for practicing new pieces and brush up on the good old family requests. Come winter, I do play more than any other time of year since I'm stuck inside a lot.

I figure I should be done with all the frazzle by Friday, so on Saturday morning, I can finally go forth and conquer and bring out the fall decorations if there is anything left of me. Then it will be time to shop for pumpkins, gourds, and corn stalks. Fun!

UPDATE: It is midnight. I have decided that since the ceiling has been painted that I should paint all the wood work too in every room in the house. I have been at it now for the past 6 hours. Almost done!

UPDATE: #2. It's 6:30 the next day. All closets finished! 4 loads of clothes washed. 2 loads of dishes washed and put up. Mud room totally cleaned from top to bottom. Refridgerator cleaned and freezer defrosted ready to stock for winter. Pantry and kitchen cabinets cleaned. All windows washed. All curtains washed except the ones in the mud room that fell apart in the washer. Cheapos. I'm still painting. I'm really hating this painting stuff. I'm pooped but still more to do. If I can't get done, I won't have time to go get my fall stuff!

UPDATE #3. It's 10:15 PM and I am sooooo done painting. But now I feel the need to paint the entire bathroom. I have washed the walls down in there too twice and they still don't look nice and need to be freshened up. BUTT! Not tonite and I think I'll leave that for next week! I am so going to bed now.

Dan and his friend bailing me out of trouble

100_3455.jpg

Hey Dan, have you seen where I left the dust buster? Can't seem to find it anywhere.......

AmySept.jpg

What about the toilet brush? I can't find that either..........

AmySept2.jpg

Happy Falls Yalls, from the Mountain

Autumnwebsitebarn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: OMG Marty, you're enthusium for life and love for your home is unreal! Would you consider visiting Northern Michigan and come do my Fall cleabing? I will pay you! :bgrin

Seriously it must be wonderful to still be able to do all this, I no longer can, and listen may I have your permission to print out that last picture of your Fall barn? I would love it for inspiration!

Lovin' it, and way to go Dan and friend!

Maxine

:aktion033: Marty I love it when you write episodes of the Never Ending Saga, you should put them all into a book, it would make a wonderful read for those long winter nights curled up by the fire with hot chocolate in hand :lol:

Yvonne

Oh those pics are so neat...actually gave me a good laugh with Amy rolling on the dust buster...silly girl!!! :bgrin When Dan and his buddy get done painting...can you send him over my way? :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh Marty you always make our day!!!!

I get so crabby having to do all that and have the other three people sit around and stare at me and wonderful why I have turned into the wicked witch! NOW I make a list, leave it on the table and people get to sign up for all the fun jobs! Makes us all happier!

Amy is loving her first big holiday with you. It is awesome to see. :bgrin We love you guys and are happy for you!

Marty

I really think that you should send some of your stories & poems into all the magazines you can find, Readers Digest, LH journal, Country woman, G housekeeping etc. I am sure they will realize the talent in you like the rest of us do & it might lead to something really great!

Ok Marty there you go again making me feel lazy and old. I too try to do a house cleaning twice a year but every year it gets harder and harder to get it all done. But here you go again making me feel like hey if Marty can do it so can I . I am going to Canada to visit my best friend soon and I almost always come back with the inspiration to at least try so between you and her it looks like next week the fun begins. I cant wait to see your house with all your decorations up and shining. Thanks again for the kick in the A-- that I so much need to get off my behind.

I want to come live with you, Marty
default_smile.png

Man, you really make me want my own apartment or SOMETHING... and not just due to the messy abuses of current living!

... send me your stew recipies? I can't make a good stew to save my life- I was never taught how. My mom just tosses stuff in the crock pot then uses tons of brown-gravy mix
default_sad.png

A true story but so funny! When I was growing up in Chicago we had neighbors down the block who would do their annual spring housecleaning. The first time we saw it everyone could not figure out what they were doing. They would bring all the contents of the house outside into the back yard. Then take the garden hose inside and would spray everything down. Then out came the long handled squeegees and all the excess water would be pushed out the doors. They would wipe down what they could, then open all windows and doors and let Mother Nature finish drying it. Then they would put everything back in by nightfall. :risa_suelos:
default_wub.png
:

Wow Marty :new_shocked: - I am plum worn out just reading all this -- and I feel like I must be one of the original total slobs. :lol:

Hi, Marty. I see you have a german shepard. I just rescued one myself. He is still a puppy. Around 50 pounds. Very playful. One eyed and all. LOL. How is your dog with minis? yesterday he wanted to play with one of my foals and it made me nervous. I had 3 great danes attack a mini last year and I don't want the same mistake happen again. so my question is how do these dogs do with the minis?

Marty I LOVE you and your writing!

Your another Sociopathic Obsessive Compulsive like me. Wish I had some LOVE children to help hoist a wreath for the barn up 20' feet I HATE ladders.

Dairygirl all I can tell you is not to leave any dog unattended with your horses ever.

My Tracey was a good girl and very smart. A GSD is a herding dog; that's what they know instinctively. They will round up and move the horses 24-7 if you don't watch them! They can wear out a herd like you cannot imagine by keeping them moving. Tracey was taught what horses I needed brought in and she was a huge help to me. I'd just open the gate and she would go round them up and bring them right into the barn and go back for any stragglers. She also would put them out for me too. I did not put a bite on her, she had it instinctively, but did have to learn not to use it out there because at first when she was a puppy she began to nip legs and had to be scolded for it. Your GSD probably has ball drive/ prey drive so you have to watch that bite he'll have and teach him not to use it around the horses if you run into trouble.

Amy my puppy is learning the ropes and doing very well. She already knows how to approach the herd and be quiet out there and not cause a ruckess. I did not teach her this, it's natural. She has a favorite that she insists she has to stay with, one of the 2007 filly foals I have here. They seem to be best friends and have some kind of connection because the foal loves her very much too and they do stick close and play a lot, but only under my supervision.

However be aware that if the horses decide to get running, it will be the instinct of the GSD to chase and "control" ........it is natural for all dogs to chase so that is where you have to be watching and your dog has to listen to you when you call for him to back off. If your dog doesn't respond to your call, that is where you have a big problem. So again I just will advise you to keep your eye on things all the time when your dog is out there for his protection as well as the horses. You have a great dog in a GSD.

Thanks Marty, This guy was left in a very bad way when I got him. People that had him before shut him up in a house in south east Texas and left him for dead. Lucky some kids found him and the mom got him out. Then I got him from her. He has had one eye put out already. Very good dog and he does listen to me when I tell him to stop. My little dogs give him fits. LOL. I have a little doxie that keeps him in line but he loves to run around her trying to play.

I'll sure take your advice. I keep him in the yard when I'm not home and only let him out when I'm outside. I think he will work out once he learns what he is suppose to do and not.

Wow !! The ceiling looks nice ! I loved your "story". You are an inspiration to me :bgrin

OK it's finally Friday and been working like a dog all week long.

Today I'm headed for the loft to get out the Fall decorations finally !!! YAY :aktion033:

I stopped in town yestarday and got a few more new things to add to it.

I can't wait to get started, soon as I'm done with morning barn chores.

This is so cool!

Well, you shamed me into doing it too. I have gone bottom to top and everything looks great, tho I am SO lucky NOT to have to paint the cabin! :aktion033: Wood walls and ceiling ya know! Not to mention I finally got all 25 acres mowed. Ouch!

Marty, I'm always excited to read one of your neverending saga's!!

Personally, I'm against cleaning, unless it's a barn.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I LOVE your little paned windows and lace curtains!

Can't wait to see all your fall decorations!! It's full-fledged fall here, lots of brightly coloured leaves and frost pretty regularly .... I was thinking of you!!

Marty..if you could see my house you would think I already decorated for Halloween :new_shocked: ...isn`t it more practical to just leave those cobwebs up till AFTER the holiday???
default_wink.png
:

You truly DO inspire me..if you lived closer I would really be more motivated tho... :lol:

Latest posts

Back