never trust your dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
my dog I would of of never thoutht in a million years he would do anything like this I was drencing my pregnate mare that had colic he would bite her fanny but he did

JUST A WARNING

1016129_212061658944118_707428884_n.jpg

she is dusty my mini horse mare and is due to foal mid November

dusty is on antiboctics and is healing well but 2 days before that I got

her son deago gelded and he is 1 1/2 yrs old so ive got one with saw balls and one with a saw fanny

so ive been a bit of stress mess.......

I watched in shock one morning at a client's house while their german shepard "played" with their two year old filly. The barking was driving me nuts and I asked them to put the dog away. When it was the filly's turn I found she had a patched of skin ripped open.

My dogs are NEVER allowed anywhere near my horses. The exception is when I am doing rehab work with my pit bull attack survivor to help him overcome his fear of dogs.

I keep all of my dogs out away from my horses. I had a friend who took her very well behaved pit to another friends farm, this was years ago, but the result is in my brain forever. Pit jumped up and latched on foals nose and wouldn't let go. Pit was killing foal, pit then turned on momma horse and tore her up too. When owner of horses tried to get pit off mare, the pit turned on her. She almost lost her hands and was very torn up. Her husband shot the dog. He had a heart attack from the stress from shooting a dog. He survived, my friend finally healed up, the mare and foal had to be put down. Worst case I ever heard about. This pit was decently bred, family raised and obedience trained. don't know what set off the dog. Any breed can do damage, not singling out pits. My geldings don't like dogs so I am careful for the sake of the dogs as well as the horses. It can go both ways. You have your hands full, glad it wasn't worse and hope it heals well. take care and thanks for sharing, always good to remind folks to be extra careful.

I have a very well behaved dog that has been around horses and other animals and I was a dog trainer so she is well trained. I would NEVER let her in a pasture off leash! I remember watching a friends Corgi "tail surf" on his big horses on their mad dash up for feed... that cannot be anything other than a disaster/vet bill in the making.

Poor thing. We have German Shepherds that LOVE horses. They sit at the fence and watch them. But we would never, ever leave them unattended. You can't trust their instincts. Anything can happen in just a second.

Ditto here.. my dogs over the years were raised around all my livestock, but never allowed in with them. Horses lots and pens are dog proof and off limits ALWAYS. And I am with BSharp... it makes me crazy when I see peoples dogs 'playing' with their horses- even through the fence. They are not 'playing' - they are practicing their predatory instincts!! Predators and non predators just dont mix well.

I am so sorry to see that happened to your horse, and I hope she heals ok. I understand there is nothing more painful that a dog bite. I would never let this particular dog around the horses again- ever - and they dont know the difference between male and female- to them, it's prey.

Reactions: REO
Im sorry to hear your mare was injured this way--glad she is healing okay!

I've had German Shepherds 'forever' and they are allowed around the horses--even unsupervised--they are guard dogs after all and have to guard at night...but I know them absolutely and if I don't know that I can trust them completely I do not keep them. I watch them closely for a long time--those that cannot be trusted generally have a certain look in their eyes, or display too much interest in the horses, and persist in that interest even after much training. The dogs are never allowed to 'play' with the horses--they are not allowed to chase after them, they are not allowed to bark at them. The dog I have now is cautious of the horses--they chase her--and she gets stomped every so often--she would not mess with them. She would protect them if necessary. I had a full sister of hers for a few months and had to rehome that dog--she could not be trusted with horses or cats so couldn't stay here.

My dog is a rat terrier. I try to be conscious of his presence at all times when I'm out with the animals. He has never flipped the switch into the "terrier-mode" while we are out, but that does not mean he never would. The only time I see behavior that is suspect is what I would consider jealousy. Thanks for the reminder to be alert.

My collies are allowed with the horses, but i'd be weary of any other breed. So sorry about your mare. I hope she heals fast!

I'm so sorry....I sure hope she heals quickly

We are out of the ordinary for horse people as we don't have dogs.

I like dogs but cats just fit into our lives easier

Last edited by a moderator:
We had an Anatolian that was always perfect with the horses, she was this colt's best friend but one day while there was a stressful situation, the colt went up to her and she attacked him. He had to have his face sutured, she was put down.

My Dobes have always run out with the horses, they could get into the horses field without me there but I have never known them bother to try- there is nothing in there for them (except poop and they can get that in another field without being crept up upon by foals and stallions!) They stay with me and, whilst I do not hesitate to take them into horse fields with me I would not be too happy about them wandering in there unsupervised. My stallion will not tolerate dogs in his filed and whilst he would never be a match for two determined Dobes he is more than a match for one that could not care less and one that is terrified of him anyway! It's a bot like kids, really, I love my dogs but I would never leave them unsupervised with a child as you just never know- child might hurt the dog, intentionally or otherwise, child might scream and hit the dogs panic button, you just do not know, so it is best never to have to find out!

I really hope your horse gets over this and comes out of it all unscathed mentally and physically.

That's awful.... Now that you know your dog has the propensities to do such a thing I hope that you take the necessary steps to make certain that it's retrained properly and doesn't have any further contact with the horses.

We've owned several dogs over the years (8 to be precise) and some of which I could sense that they couldn't be trusted with our horses. Therefore, those particular dogs were retrained within a 12ft chain link fenced in yard and of the eight dogs that we had only two have been permitted to interact with our herd. It's better to be safe than sorry in some instances and unfortunately in this case you'll need to take those measures now.

Of the eight dogs that we had I didn't go out myself and purchase them. Unfortunately, they were abandoned in our area and I took them when they in a mature state already. However, the two dogs that are permitted to interact with our herd were raised with them from pups and have had my constant correction of what is acceptable and not from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your mare is healing and doing well. Poor mare.

I had a lady come out and buy a baby goat. She asked if it could be friends with her dog. I told her no, that even if your dog is gentle and well loved things can happen. She said okay, she would buy him a friend, I had no others available. I always tell people I will take the goats back if they ever can no longer take care of them, or do not wish to. No questions asked. A few weeks later I got a bloody goat at the poor, the lady caring him, because her dog had ripped him up, she had lied about the dog, and getting him another friend. The goat needed many stitchs and has as close to you can get to a broken neck without actualy having one. The vet told us he could live a normal life, he just cosmetically doesnt look right. But Riley is with us 3 yrs later. He isnt the prettiest goat, but hes a good boy.

thanks everyone .my mares fanny is healing it has been seven days since it happened ...when the dog bit her she was getting drench for sand but the diarahha has not stopped .any advice would be awesome thanks

Bio sponge if you can get it where you are.Works great Used it several times If you can't let me know and I will read the label to tell you the ingredients and maybe that will help.Maybe you can mix your own stuff to do the trick

Latest posts

Back