never seen this before!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
The deer here go into the horses field regularly and usually the boys just ignore them. Yesterday Pistol must have decided he didn't want them in "his" field. I watch him standing on alert watching the deer and then he stomped up and chased them out! Those deer were so surprised!LOL!

I have deer in my neighbor hood too, only one of my minis chases our Siamese kitty we have "adopted" (we are pretty sure he/she is a stray. She occasionally walks on our back porch, so i call it mine lol) He hates cats LOL. I do have deer, especially new fawns, get stuck in the pasture or in the fence. My dad had to save a doe I call Bonita the other day when she got her hoof stuck on the top of the fence. We have a little "bridge" or "runway" inbetween two pastures thats about maybe 6 feet wide, just enough to get through. A spike tried to jump it and hit the top of the fence on the other side and flipped over, he was okay though, just lost some belly hair
default_smile.png

I have deer in my neighbor hood too, only one of my minis chases our Siamese kitty we have "adopted" (we are pretty sure he/she is a stray. She occasionally walks on our back porch, so i call it mine lol) He hates cats LOL. I do have deer, especially new fawns, get stuck in the pasture or in the fence. My dad had to save a doe I call Bonita (a doe that has been seen frequently on our farm) the other day when she got her hoof stuck on the top of the fence. We have a little "bridge" or "runway" inbetween two pastures thats about maybe 6 feet wide, just enough to get through. A spike tried to jump it and hit the top of the fence on the other side and flipped over, he was okay though, just lost some belly hair
default_smile.png

LOL, I guess he thinks its his job to protect the other 2 from those dangerous critters. I can just picture him storming over to tell that deer to shove off.
default_xbud.gif
default_laugh.png

A friend of mine had a full sized stallion that for amusement would chase flocks geese that had landed in "his field" to rest. He would run right through the middle of the geese very fast and they would make alot of noise and fly up and then circle around and come right back down to the ground again. After the geese would settle, the horse would circle and then take off and run right through the middle of the geese again. Over and over they did this game. It was hilarious, wished I had a camera that day, nice self entertainment and the geese seemed amused too as they kept landing again and again. I owned a riding horse one day that had to be moved to a new field without cattle because he was playing with the calves too much. He would get them up, chase them and try to grab the end of their tail. He got moved to a different field with only horses in it. Amazing how much they can think is fun to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our "low man on the totem" horse (Baby) is the one who gets ALL bent out of shape about the deer. There are many times when its an issue, and the deer rarely come into to the pasture area but do come out of the treeline area that the back of the pasture goes to. When they do come near, she goes on full alert, snorts, stomps, runs toward them, etc. It's quite funny to watch, especially because she's so far down the herd level.

. It's quite funny to watch, especially because she's so far down the herd level.
Which is probably why she chases the deer, she feels they are below her in "the herd", and they leave when she charges.

We own white-tail deer so our minis are used to them. We have our stallion in a long run that goes around the deer pen and he loves to race them. He always loses....LOL

Our minis are pretty tolerant of other animals except predator types of course (llama runs them off). However, we did have a bald eagle land one day that the aforementioned stallion chased off in no time. Amazing how big that bird was when standing next to our 33" stallion......

Latest posts

Back