Never DNA'd Before, Question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
I downloaded the "Hair Colection for DNA Analysis" off the AMHR website. It looks to me like one form is for one sample of DNA ( the foal ).

Do I need to do a seperate form for the Dam and Sire? We know who the dam is
default_wink.png
but we are only about 75% sure on the sire so we thought we'd DNA to be sure. Neither the Dam or the Sire have been DNA tested.

Also, can they just test the sire and foal? Or do they have to have the Dam's DNA too?

New territory for us, hope this makes sense...

Thanks for your help

PS. Will Maury read the results.............. LOL

Lynda

As far as I know, AMHR (for Miniature Horses) is not accepting DNA. The DNA forms are presently in use for ponies (not all I don't think) and not for the minis. If it is parentage testing you want done, and the horses are not AMHA reg'd, then I would send samples to Equine Genetics for testing there, as I am pretty sure they do it. You can check their site to be sure.

I believe you can DNA an AMHR registered horse. In order to parent qualify, all horses involved would have to be DNA tested. Lynda, you might just want to contact AMHR tomorrow so you will know for sure!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for your replies. I will call either AMHR or University of Kentucky, I just need to know who's the daddy......... So I can properly register him with AMHR.

Thanks again.

I just did a 'who's your daddy' one with AMHA!
default_rolleyes.gif
The horse in question should have been by stallion A but turns out to be by stallion B. Have no idea how that happened!!!!!
default_no.gif

LOL Becky!!

I wrote down Stallion A but both Mike and I thought everyone was bred to Stallion B.

To find out "who's your daddy" sire, dam, and foal must be DNA tested. I just had to do that, in my case Sire A - the one I really wanted -- is the sire.

If you are not 100% sure who the sire is I believe that legally (and morally) you have to parentage qualify for AMHA.

Latest posts

Back