Nervous show horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Fortune

Reaction score
My horse does enjoy showing. His ears a usually forward & he does his best to please me, but in the morning he is really nervous. He cant stand still & I need help to calm him down. Ive tried lunging him before our classes but it has little to no effect. It makes it hard to be competitive in our earlier classes(showmanship & halter) and I really dont know what to do. Could it be because he is stalled up at night? Usually he is out all day & night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lorna

Something that has helped me with my high-strung boy is to NOT give him grain the morning of the show. He is much calmer, but definitely still has an attitude and doesn't mind having his grain after the show.

Yea, it's probably a combination of stored up energy from being stalled and a little touch of nervousness. You can withhold the morning grain and keep on lunging him. If at all possible, maybe there's a place where you can just turn him loose for a little free run too, like a round pen on the ground or the arena, just to get the edge off. If you do it early, should help a lot.

New routine on the day of the show can really make a difference. Try stalling him at home sometimes at night too, especially the few days before the show. Follow a "show routine" at home for a couple of days before. And I wouldn't withhold the whole feed... my horse would be so concerend with wondering when his breakfast is coming that he wouldn't be able to pay any attention to me. I'd at least trick him with a handful so he thinks he is getting something (again, keeing routines as much the same as possible). Unless you work him at home before feeding as well. But I'd give him a handful and then the rest after working.

Latest posts

Back