Nervous! Liz M. photo shoot-need ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Any tips for hiding blemishes on horses such as my buckskin (clipped out to an almost white w/black points, though he's normally golden)? He went and rubbed his head against a post w/his halter on and sort of rubbed the hair off near his ear down to his black skin...looks fairly bad.

I have yet to clip the black/bay that we have, but hoping there's nothing to hide, there!

Also, my stallion, who's four, has tooth bumps. He's going to the dentist next week. I just feel like he doesn't quite look his best, but I want some good pictures for my own use, also possibly promoting for sale in the future. Can I in any way minimize these in the pics?

I feel fairly nervous about this as I am hoping I will not be the only person in the world to bring Liz some horses she can't make look beautiful! *LOL* You should see the clipper tracks on my stallion! I have never been able to clip him nicely, what is it about white hair?

Anyone who's had pics taken before w/Liz have some tips/pointers/suggestions? What can I expect (we are hauling in to another farm to have this done).

Liz M.

Don't fret.... we have all those things going on here - and Liz will be here at 9 AM tomorrow. *sigh* There will always be bumps and marks and this and that going on under all the fuzz....
wacko.gif

All the show horses were done today - and tomorrow my little group of 4 mares I just clipped gets done. These are not going to be full blown fancy ad type pics - just nice photos of some of our ex-show horses who are now broodmares... and to my horror - and for the first time ever - I have track marks on one mare. HUH??
no.gif
Oh well - she will need another bath first thing in the AM anyway and that will even them out. One mare has a regular staircase of teeth bumps... one was such a baaaaaad girl (no - HORRIBLE! LOL) to clip that she will need some touch-ups... and one is a bit on the chunky side... but such is life. A touch up here and there... some baby oil gel to lay down errant bits of mane and do some highlighting... and a finishing spray.... the rest is up to the photo to capture that one millisecond of time when everything is perfect.
yes.gif

HUH?? Double Post!! AAACCKK!!!
new_shocked.gif
wacko.gif

I was not in on the photoshoot today, nootka - so no help from me there... I was not so merrily clipping the fuzz off the last of the pasture girls... (she is solid grey so no worries about colour) and trying to explain to She Who Has Apparently Never Been Clipped Before (only NOT) that no matter what crap she pulled, she was going to get Naked....
nono.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, tagalong!

Hopefully the pics she takes up there will be available on a website for us to view? I know for a fact there are some beautiful horses up that way!

Hafta think the Star Valley horses are one of the best kept secrets (oops, did I say that?)

I really needed the reassurance, though. I'm hoping those clipper tracks won't show so badly in photos, and of course, I'll be bathing before we leave on Saturday.

Liz M.

I got ahold of Stacy last night and am trying to get in on this so I was glad to see this post. I did not reach Liz tonight when I tried, I hope she has room left this weekend! I work the rest of this week so that's the only time I can do it.

Unfortunately since I had no warning I have not re-clipped Kody and he's got almost three weeks worth of winter regrowth since his last clip.
unsure.gif
His color is nice and it isn't into anywhere near full wooly yet, (he still looks clipped) but I wonder if I'm insane to have her shoot him when he's that way? Of course I will reclip his head and legs, but there's just no way I'm going to be able to rent clippers and redo him before Saturday.
no.gif
I only want sentimental shots, probably mostly headshots and perhaps some driving pix, so am I nuts?

I'm also wondering if she could be convinced to take a few of my Arab Spyderman as well. He's in great coat right now and looking lovely and I never take that for granted at his age.

Leia

I clpiiped and bathed my cremello down for my own pictures and could not get out a few ground in dirt marks, although I used several types of soap. So my daughter had some semi-pro acrilic paints that had ivory and white shades that I was able to mix together, to come up with his shade of coat color. It worked beautifully, and he looked clean in the shots.

Hi Liz,

I bet ya won't even be able to see those blemishes.

Liz's pictures are wonderful
smile.gif

Have fun.
biggrin.gif

Are you having Mouse done??
smile.gif
))))))))))

Sandy

I don't think you need to worry too much! A lot of things just don't show up in a picture. I know Liz says they photograph better if they don't have a fresh clip. Their color is better. For my boys last year, I clipped about a week ahead of time. I was so worried Flash would look 'pink' since he's virtually solid white, but he came out looking white as snow.

If it's windy, be sure to bring plenty of gel/oil to lay manes and forelocks down.

Good luck and have fun! Liz is amazing!!!!

[SIZE=14pt]I heard from a friend that had Liz pics done that she will fix anything that isnt right when she does the prints. She will take the tooth bumps away, lengthen a neck a bit or clean up an underline. You will be amazed and very pleased with the resulting pics so dont worry about the blemishes. You will be fine.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas and reassurances.

I'm hoping my tracky stallion doesn't look so bad, but he's in good shape, physically other than the teeth bumps, so hopefully any touching up will be just cosmetic as in missing patches of hair here and there.

The filly looks pretty good and I'm going to clip her tomorrow.

I will be sure and share pics when I get them. Does anyone know the time frame that you get proofs and final photos in relation to the date of the shoot?

Liz M.

I can tell you that Liz doesn't alter photos other than removing a lead, an arm or perhaps an extra appendage on a stallion! You are getting the real deal with a Liz picture! If I had the money, I'd have her photograph my herd in a heartbeat!

nootka said:
I will be sure and share pics when I get them.  Does anyone know the time frame that you get proofs and final photos in relation to the date of the shoot?
454998[/snapback]

Liz - I think Liz said that the photos would be available on the website in a week to see the proofs... don't quote me on that, though.

Our little shoot went well... chubby Lily looked great... Amy turned back into a show horse again - with more colour than she had in the show ring at times... Annie quit fussing and was a star so we may finally get decent photos of her.... and then there was Doll. Who hated showing. She said You Can't Fool Me. You Bathed Me. You Clipped Me. You Oiled Me. You Put A Show Halter On Me. This Is Like Showing and... I. Hate. Showing. So of course she pouted and scowled and tucked her ears back and sucked her tongue.... arrrgh. We left her til last as we knew this would happen. However - despite Doll's best efforts at sabotage, I think Liz got some good shots...
laugh.gif

OH - and Joey (Philia Blazes Joe Dandy) did his shoot without a body clip... just cleaned up around his feet and face/ears - he looked great!

Last edited by a moderator:
When we had Liz at our place she said she would fix any scars or blemishes that you tell her you want fixed, but you have to tell her. It's a no brainer that she'd remove any "happy" stallion parts or hands/arms/people or in frames - but she will not alter conformation or color. Clipper marks, etc. don't really show up in photos unless it's a close up head shot. Really their color looks much better if you clip several days ahead of time anyway.

When Liz was here last year she did Cowboy and a bunch of our show horses. I didn't body clip any of them. Just a good bath and trim job. Their coats looked awsome 'au natural' and have full color and wonderful shine.

Cowboy (actually he is straight 'out of the pasture' if you will. Pretty good for the little guy, don't you think?))

CowboyLiz3-500X.jpg

Grand Prix

grandprix01_400.jpg

We had horses of all colors and they photographed great. Wish I had more of the pictures.

so you don't HAVE to body clip if you do a good trim job. And you might actually get a prettier coat quality & color if it is unclipped. Cowboy's hair was quite long.

Charlotte

Liz is AWESOME!

She is very gifted and a wonderful person!

The world would not be as pretty without LIZ!

We had a blast at the Julep Cup!

Chandler

All good photographers can remove/edit that which is not desired........some will edit more than others.....but as mentioned you have to ask........I know if you have pics where everything looks great but a foot is mid move many can put a foot from another pic within a couple frames that is level without altering the actual horse at all........many can and do alot more than that
rolleyes.gif
but all those little blemishes etc can be removed just like models wrinkles, eye bags, stretch marks etc.......have fun

Liz is truely on very talented individual when it comes to photography!

Does anyone know if she will be at the AMHR Nationals?

Latest posts

Back