Neighbor killed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
You know about the poacher problem. I have been having off and on. Hubby saw "search and rescue" at a neighbors place just up the road few days ago... quiet person kept to himself. Well he was murdered....and the only strange car on this road this last month was the lastest poachers car.

We were just getting ready to call the fireman up, the one that helped me when I had the accident and lives up the road just a bit,, to find out what was happening...and the police knock on our door. Didn't have to call Rick.

So we talked... the murderer is still on the loose and there is plenty of countryside in this area to hide in.

Like I need another wak job in this area... the people that used to own this place and the poachers are more than enough to deal with. Don't need to worry about any more.

Not sure a dog would do any good in this case...those kinds of people would just shoot the dog first. Seriously looking into some sensors and security cameras. Worries me..since DH has to work... local police are just about useless. Not to brag but I am darn good with a rifle if I have to be.....just don't want to ever be put in the position to have to shoot a person.

No leaving the windows open any more to get fresh air in the house, thats for sure.

This week just keeps getting better and better...
default_thumbdown.gif
default_sad.png

Am so temped to load up the 30-30 ..with the safety on of course...or keep my bow and arrows with me ...when I am out on the property now. Probably shouldn't even be saying anything.. made the local news too.

Either the world is getting smaller..or there are more nasty people out there than I like.

Too bad!!!! I sure hope they find the murderer soon. That would be horrible to live in a condition like that.

Poachers are horrible! Hubby is a wildlife officer and deals with them. They have no care for anything they come across.
default_no.gif

OMG!!! Not funny!!! Cripes girl, you guys be CAREFUL!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I vote for keeping the 30 30 with you 24/7.

You are right the world has more nasty people in it.

Stay safe, Shari, I hope they catch the killer!

Liz

Oh my, this is really scary. Please don't let your guard down for a moment.

I hope they catch him ASAP!

I agree with CyndiM, keep your gun on you at all times!

That is SCARY!
default_new_shocked.gif
Please keep safe!

Good heavens Girlfriend! Lock the doors! Please be careful out there and don't trust anyone you don't know till they catch the guy.

Here is a suggestion for you and anyone else that might want a protective dog:

Call the German Shepherd rescue in your state. They get retired police dogs that no longer can work for one reason or another. Very highly trained dogs who make wonderful companions. Also your local K9 Unit will have leads.

Ever since I was looking around for a GSD puppy last year my name got on a list and I have had a few offers for these dogs. If it was not for Devin, Jerry's junk yard dog that is a fighter and a biter, I would surely take one in. I plan to in the future.

Only problem is the 30-30 is really heavy. Sigh... might lug about the 22... looks very close to what 30-30 looks like from a distance. Just don't understand what is wrong with people. If they spent as much time and effort on doing good works instead of bad things or killing people,, the world would be a much better place. Wears one out having to be "on Guard" all the time. Really not in the mood to deal with this .....problem....not after having to let Heidi go to the rainbow bridge.

Police said it would be nice to get the bad guy alive but do what you have to do to stay safe. Nice to know I can protect myself.

Need to get my backside in gear and get at least a wireless driveway sensor, that can be used near a hot wire fence..and at least one wireless camera. Will also see about getting a dog....just something that will bark if it feels something is out of place or so on. More early warning "systems" the better.

Wish I could afford to build a stone wall like they did around the castles in the medieval days. Maybe hire some of those wilds Scotsmen.....

Feel for you Keri.... is a Thankless job trying to catch so many poachers. This last time we got a beer can and the shot gun shell casings but the type of beer can..the Troopers can't get finger prints from and they used gloves with the shell casings. Sigh ~~

Did not know that about the K09 dogs Marty..Thank you for telling me about that...will have to see if they have that offer in this area. There are also a couple of shelters in the area..and right now they do have german shephards.... if one is open Monday.. will most likely adopt one then. Even if it is not trained... at this point... think most people .. would think twice about messing with them.

Will be as carefull as I can...but DS and I still have to go out and feed the animals. Though.. am pretty sure I will be sitting out with a loaded rifle of some type..while he is doing his chores. Just glad I have been handling rifles since I was 12.

Stupid people... wish those types would just throw themselves off a cliff somewhere and leave us peaceful folks alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your neighbor, and taken in such a senseless manor.
default_no.gif
Please keep safe.

Hugs & prayers,

Tanya

How very scarey. We live out in the sticks and have never had any problems, but I always keep the doors locked at night, but not so good at it during the day. We do have two dogs that alert me if anyone/anything is outside, coming up the driveway(which is very very long) or in the surrounding woods. Pistols are located at each end of our house and I know how to use them. We do not have children so having guns accessible is not a problem. A 357 at one end and a 44 at the other end...I do not want to mess with a cumbersome rifle if it comes down to it and to be honest a 22 doesn't pack enough punch to make me feel safe.

Be safe.

Oh Hon, keep a loaded weapon on hand always everywhere you go about the property. A 22 is very effective to slow down if not stop and if a crack shot (as I am) shoot for the large area and hope to hit an arm or leg. Keep your cell phone in pocket and charged at all times. Shoot to kill if you have to, remember this is not a human who will reason. A big dog will alert you, heck even a small one will bark at a strange noise..I have 3 and they warn me...it may give you the time you need to undo the safety and raise to your shoulder as needed. Get a good dog. I live much like you and I am always ready just in case, first I am human and yes it would hurt me to take a life let alone shoot someone BUT...

Prayers coming.

That is very scary
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

We have guns but also an ADT security system and monitoring. It's pretty inexpensive, too...

I have sadly had to kill predators... shocked hubby the first time I shot one...and killed it in one shot with the 22. It can be done.. I perfer the shot into the eye..to the brain. They die instantly and in no pain. Haven't missed yet. Hubby learned really quick women can shoot and shoot well if they need to. Just most women I know, including me, rather not pick up a gun at all. Rifles of various kinds are all we have...as we use them to shoot predators when needed. Sigh ~~~ Know it is silly but hand guns scare me.

Just wish this went down...not on labor day weekend..and wish the police visited us earlier. No shelters are open today...and not sure they will be open tomorrow. Just hope they find the murderer fast.

Hey... question for you all. Does anyone have walkie talkies and have yours been reliable? We had some cheap ones but they never did work very well.

Jill, I looked into a ADT and other types of security like that... only problem is none of the companies will come out this far. Part of the problem is there only 4 policemen in this whole area..and working only 9 to 5pm and we are quite a distance away and they don't like that.

Shari --

I don't have a walkie talkie but H uses one on the job. I will ask him how good it is and what it cost (thinking it would be one of the better ones available).

However, do you and your husband (or whoever you want to "walkie talkie" with) have cell phones? With Verizon, we have free cell-to-cell phone calls with any Verizon cell phone so it costs us nothing to talk to each other. In case that could be a help.

Jill

Jill, I looked into a ADT and other types of security like that... only problem is none of the companies will come out this far. Part of the problem is there only 4 policemen in this whole area..and working only 9 to 5pm and we are quite a distance away and they don't like that.
Wow... I didn't even know that there were places without police protection available. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in Northern VA! I think the little paragraph you just wrote there is suspence novel material, Stephen King when you add the rest of the story. I hope they catch the muderer soon and today would be great!!!

I do have the walkie talkies that reach 1/2 mile, may be worth it if you have a neighbor near enough.

Shari I'm sorry you are going thru this. Please do whatever you have to to be safe. Lock your doors at all times when inside. Even my little hairy rug rat Teddie at just 4 mos old has started barking at noises from outside. Which there is alot of with the bigs dogs and horses out there. It truly sounds like you don't need a guard dog you have that part handled but something to alert when someone shows up. You can hear the cars but won't be able to hear if someone is creeping around your place. I believe dogs can hear a person breathing and pick up on their strange scent so able to notify of a stranger very quickly.

OMG that is horrible!! I am so sorry about your neighbor and the fact that you have to be on guard now all the time. Do be careful! We don't have walkie talkies but we carry our cell phones with us most of the time. It sounds like you're way out in the country .....making it easy for that monster predator to do his evil deeds. I too would keep the 'ol trusted iron piece with me 24/7 in your circumstance. Hope they catch this guy real soon.

Wow, NOT fun!

Good advice given thus far so I will try not to repeat.

"Fear" is good as long as it motivates and it sounds as though it has.

Woman are generally better shots than men. And most often it REALLY tickes men off! There are two very critical reasons as to why. Girls, in general have superior hand/eye coordination and MOST importantly didn't come outa their mama's wombs knowing how to shoot. Therefore they both accept and follow instruction when given.

With men it is refered to as a perishable skill. Thats why we have to stay "in" practice. If this were not true, special ops budgets could be trimmed quite a bit and the money allocated to ammunition for practice could instead be allocated to beer...... Actually ALOT of beer!

While the rifle "rules" I too would be more inclined to have a pistol close to hand at least in the house. Your time to aquire same may well be running out. If you are that at home w/ a rifle all you need to do is conquer the monster in your head regarding pistols.

However security, both close and extended, is where you can make the most difference. Knowing and having good relations w/ neighbors is of SUPREME importance! They will be able to provide an extended security buffer for you as you will for them. Early warning of something wrong or out of place IS priceless!

Interlocking fields of security coupled with tight comunication SOP's (both high AND low tech.) agreed upon by all the neighbors will be a gigantic asset in dealing with the current problems and future one's. Whenever possible good relations with neighbors should be sought even if you have to give a little to get it. Once everyone is on the same page and starts "hunting", the terrorists tend to find greener grass....

Its your land, act like it.

Prayers for you,

Bb

Jill...have never read a S.King novel..always too chicken!

We only have one Cell phone..even with the motorola phone,, the reception is not the best and there are some places on this property...whole area for that matter..that a cell signal can't get through, no matter the cell phone or service.

So walkie talkies are the most reliable. What I plan to do is find out what channel the fire fighter just a couple places down uses...that way.. I can let him know if anything is going on faster..than me getting to a phone and or calling the police.

Just wish all this did not happen during a major holiday....is impossible to get even a drive way sensor fast.

Folks keep to themselves around here. Have met one of the new people, (sold him hay this season)...that hasn't been here long enough to know the....a .....issues in this area. Know the Firefighter and his family...met a few others but wouldn't trust them..., ever.

Only house I can see...and only if I walk out from our house, is the one that was just sold...and a Monk just moved it. Keep telling DH he needs to talk to him and let him know what is going on. Other than that one person... we are surrounded on three sides with forest land.

Carriage.. oh belive me... people know around here this is my families place and we don't cotton to tresspassers. My husband has cleared the lower tree branches along the road, so we have a good site line... fencing right around the house and night pastures..lets just say.. someone touches that hot wire..is going to kick them on their backsides. I haven't been able to ride the fence line every day like I used too. Once I started that.. the poaching stopped. Then I got hurt...dishonest people have figured that out...and poachers are at it again. Sigh ~~~

Tuesday is the soonest I can looking into handgun safety classes for both me and DS......or look for a Dog or buy those sensors.

Not panic-ed... most likely not as scared as I should be... more mad than anything I guess. I have been staying alert since the last poacher issue not to long ago. But I do need some kind of early warning system..be it a dog and or a combo of a dog and sensors. Going to have to do something..... which is extremely sad.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back