Needle sizes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
What size needle is right for a mini?

I was told 16 guage, but it looks so HUGE. So I would like to know what size you all use.

Personally I think 16 IS huge. I use 20 g.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never use 16 gauge on a mini! That is huge! I use 20 X 1 for everything here. Vaccinations to antibiotics.

default_new_shocked.gif
I think a 16 gauge is way too large. We use nothing bigger than a 20. Even a 22 will

work nicely. Maryann

I use 20 gauge at either3/4 or 1 inch long. Anything shorter doesn't penetrate deep enough. It is difficult to get thick liquids or antibiotics to go through a needle much finer than a 2o gauge, not to mention, the thiner the needle, the easierit bends, if you have one of those horses with a needle phobia.

Carolyn

I use a 21 gauge and one inch long.

Susan O.

We use 16 ga on the cattle, they can leave a hole in a horse, as they are too big for the horses thinner hide. [A little perspective... The vet used a 16 ga needle on my half-Arab gelding to do a needle biopsy of a skin issue he had several years ago; the 16 ga needle took a nice little core of skin and sub-cutaneous tissue for lab work.]

I use 20 or 21 gauge by 1" for thin liquids for the minis (20 or 22 ga x 1.5" for full-size horses); and 18 gax1" for penicillin for the minis as its pretty thick (18gx1.5" for full-size).

Latest posts

Back