Needed a tranquilizer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
Yesterday I came toodling in the driveway with a load of perishable groceries in the car. I got out of the car, heard a horrible racket in the barn, wondered what in the he!! the noise was. It was a scary noise. Sounded like someone tearing the whole thing down. I got closer to the barn, and saw a buckskin colt standing in the aisleway. But wait, he wasn't really in the aisleway, he doesn't usually stay in the barn, what the heck is going on? I got up to the colt, and saw that he had been in the stall, had jumped the stall gate, and had gotten his left back leg hung in the opening (small though it was) of the stall gate and the side of the stall. I didn't know what to do at that time except try and stop his thrashing around trying to get loose. He belongs to my daughters, fairly new purchase, and I don't know him very well. I was also the only person on the farm. Got hold of his halter, and started soothing, shaky reassurances and got him settled. Called daughter (thank God for cell phones) and told her to get there and help me and to speed! I could just see him pulling that back leg off, and was terribly worried it was already broken! I slowly, very slowly, held onto him while edging around him to get to the leg that was hung and try to assess the situation. I tried moving the gate, but part of his weight was on it, no go, not even a budge. I just stood there patting and cooing to him with one hand, trying to hold him secure with the other. I finally decided that I had to get that gate open somehow, got it unhooked finally, ( no easy task with part of him on it) and evidently he felt the pressure relax on his leg. He squatted down ever so quietly, with me holding on to him and begging him to not fight it, and he said to me "thank you lady, but you don't quite know what you are doing, so I'll take over from here. " When he was squatted as far as he could on the other leg, he calmly lunged, and got the leg dislodged. He has some cuts, and is obviously quite swollen, but using the leg really well, and doing okay today. I want to brag on that young man, he was kind, trusting, and may I say street smart. I wonder if he has gotten himself into scrapes before, and trusted humans to help him? Whatever, he gained a lot of points in my eyes! I was shaking so hard when it was over, I wanted someone to pass me a great big stiff drink, or at least a bottle of tranquilizers!

AGH! Jeeze, nothing like a horse!
default_wacko.png
I have had a similar situation with one of my mini's, he was galloping/playing with ( I assume,as I wasn't there) my other mini, and he fell on the side hill and lodged himself under the bottom rail of the fence, with his head folded under him. I about died, when I saw that. And, I was home by myself.....amazing how you find the strength and the calmness just takes over your body (while screaming on the inside!).

I totally agree with needing a stiff drink afterward. Man. I am glad you were able to get him free, I hope his leg continues to do well. Poor fella. Hope he decides to stay in his stall from now on!

Your very lucky he's alright and wasn't badly injured
default_biggrin.png
we have metal gates that connect to the other panels and a stallion got his foot caught between the space of the gate on top and the next panel. The harder he fought the further his foot slipped down and the tighter the chain holding the gate shut got.. l was livid but my other half keeps a 4' long crow bar near one of the fields so used that to pri open a space for him to slip his foot out. The chain holding the gate never broke but l did bend the gate some. We clamped thin pipes on all the openings more then 3" wide so now there's just a sliver of space to clear the gates when opening so that never happens again. A crow bar kept in more places because they work fast when alone and you gotta undo someone is also helpful..

You know, you're so right about being so lucky! One Keeneland TB Sale, the sales company I worked for had a yearling filly rear up, get her front foot caught in the door and the side the door was attached to. She struggled so hard that before they could rescue her, she tore her foot completely off and had to be put down. I was so afraid the colt would do the same. I knew that would just kill me, and I was afraid for both of us!

default_wacko.png
gads ...I would have been hittin the bottle after that too. so scary...I am relieved he is ok and had the trust to let you help him. He will have new eyes for you as you now do for him...this is where the beautiful bond begins.

I had a gelding that got his head stuck in a gate, I didnt lock it tight so I could quickly get a horse from the bottom pasture , sure enough he stuck his head in and tried to pullback , the gate was like a set of french doors
default_no.gif
he was in there for a nano second, but boy did our relationship change when I got his noggin out of there.

scary moments

Holy cow, good thing you have good ears and heard the noise coming from the barn!

I can imagine your heart was in your throat. I would have had a panic attack worse than the horse. That's fantastic that he escaped with minor injuries; could have been so much worse.

Don't you love it when they get goofy?

Time to put a top door on that stall.

Glad your colt's okay, it's heart stopping when you find them that way! I had a stallion try to jump out of the round pen last year and get hung the same way, only by his front pastern. He amazing not only survived it, but was sound again within a couple of days. We thought his leg was broken when he first came down. And yep, had a mare get her head stuck too, years ago....
default_wacko.png
If there is some way to get hurt a horse will find it.

Jan

Glad your colt's okay, it's heart stopping when you find them that way! I had a stallion try to jump out of the round pen last year and get hung the same way, only by his front pastern. He amazingly not only survived it, but was sound again within a couple of days. We thought his leg was broken when he first came down. And yep, had a mare get her head stuck between gate & fence too, years ago....
default_wacko.png
If there is some way to get hurt a horse will find it.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back