Need urgent help on my 2 week old filly!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaturehorselover

Reaction score
Hi there my mare gave birth to a healthy foal who was up and bucking around within an hour after birth

.i dipped her unbiblical cord in iodine and hasnt had an infection or anything. ..since 4 days ago I been realizing she is covered in poop.. I was just wondering what causes this. . My mom thought it was mom not giving enough milk but she suckles and seem to be swallowing something im extremely worried as my old foal coliced and don't want anything to happen to my little girl! The vet is coming Thursday and checking on her giving her vaccines and everything else but im scared she won't have that long any advice would be good thanks

That would be the foal heat! The mare has probably come back into heat and it normally causes the foal to have the poops

Ok thank god :') I thought I was saying goodbye to my baby girl :'( ... she's always sleeping im assuming that's normal too as she's a baby lol but she gets her kicking moments when she bucks around
default_smile.png

Did you deworm the mare with ivermectin the day she foaled or shortly after? It's said to help reduce foal heat scours (foals often get diarrhea when the mare comes into her first heat after foaling, usually 7-10 days after foaling, some take longer to come in). I have no idea why it helps, but it is said ot help reduce foal heat poops in the foal.

Just wash up her bum so the poops don't burn her skin. Baby wipes work good for this, then Vaseline works to keep more from sticking.

Reactions: Tab
Back