need truck/trailer help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvf

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a pretty nice used 5th wheel horse trailer. It is 16' long. and a good price.

But i drive a Chevy Avalance. The box on this truck is smaller than a regular short bed pickup, plus the box is deeper.

Does anyone know if a 5th wheel hitch would even fit in this truck?

I am going to call our chevy dealer on Monday and see what they say, but thought i would ask you guys.

thanks for any help.

Cindy

I can't answer your question specifically, but wanted to add something for you to consider... Check out the configuration of the trailer. I've seen a few that the area over the hitch really protrudes forward of the hitch itself and that will also determine if you can pull this particular trailer. Our stock trailer slopes up and back towards the trailer from the hitch, so there is plenty of room between the hitch and the cab; but some trailers, especially those with living quarters or tack rooms in the front, really stick out forward of the hitch. I hope I've made sense.

Your best bet is to call your dealer, hopefully they have experience with towing trailers and the specs required.

thanks, i will check on that.

The thing is, i tend to be an impulse buyer., and this trailer is really nice and a good price.

I don't have any experience with 5th wheels, but really have been wanting one. (we currentlly have a bumper pull stock trailer)

I know this trailer isn't going to last long at this price and someone will snatch it up.....but i would hate to buy it only to find out that it won't work with my truck.

I just hope it isn't sold by Monday before I get a chance to call our chevy dealer.

thanks again

With the bed of your truck being deeper than most, you run the risk of hitting the edges of the bed when you hit big bumps. We have a 5th wheel camper we take everywhere. On our old truck, we went through a parking lot with big washouts in it. Going over one, the back of the bed went up as the trailer came down and made huge dents in the top of the bed. Just something else to think about.

Latest posts

Back