need training tips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwharrie

Reaction score
I am not new to horses but am very new to minis.

Zip is an eight month old colt ( will be gelding as soon as his danglies appear)

basically he was a rescue. unhandled, thin, worming, had a nasty abcess on his side.

he has come a very long way since we got him ( about 2 months ago)

He is difficult to catch but we are working on that. once caught he does tie, lead, pick up feet ect.

Suzie is 13 months old and has been handled, will come right up to you, she ties, leads, picks up feet.

I am working with both to show in halter. Both are picking up setting up square, standing still,giving ears.

where I am having problems is getting them to walk out on a loose lead and trot.

I have never shown halter before and want to be sure I get them started out right.

any suggestions would be welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I trot them you have to really get some energy in that lead. And as you said you want it very loose so they have room to really trot out. Most horses at a show will trot because they are in a new environment. Working them in a round pen for a few minutes so they learn what the word "trot" means helps too!

Teach them trot on the longe line FIRST, so they are picking up the trot immediately.

Makes the transition to the lead a piece of cake. All you have to do then is say TROT on the lead and they know EXACTLY what you want and they do it.

Latest posts

Back