Need thoughts how to keep a mini drinking water.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
We have a mini that at least once a year get hydrated and has colic. The vets have given me many reason from pressure in the atmosphere from storms coming in, mesquite beans, eating something. Not worried about the why at this moment, but would appreciate some idea to encourage her to drink and keep her hydrated so she doesn't colic. I've tried salt, watered hay and mash (which I am doing now).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a horse that did not like drinking water at horse shows. We added apple juice to her water and that seemed to do the trick. I've heard that people on the race track feed tb's peppermint candies to encourage them to drink more water. I know that a lot of people have had success with soaking beet pulp shreds and adding that to the feed to increase fluid intake.

I have heard of kool aid powder..and Gatorade. I would try an electrolytes pack. And possibly various different salt blocks.

Great ideas. Please keep coming I am open to all suggestions. Really appreciate the help.

Over the past 20+years I have had MULTIPLE colics from not drinking enough.None in the past 2+years.I have 3 who eat their meals in water.If they want to eat they must suck the feed from the bucket of water.Feed consists of 1 cup senior feed+1 cup shredded beet pulp+1 scoop powdered apple flavor electrolytes.Dump this in about 1 quart water- warm in winter and add small amounts of senior feed until all gone.Stalled horses get this mix dumped in overnight water bucket and field horse get this in large heated tub.I have also used molasses soup to get them drinking more.Small amount of molasses in water whatever they will drink. Mine are all pigs so they will drink to get to the food MIx your feed according to what your guys are used to eating Hope something works for you soon.Colic is no fun.

First of all, make sure your buckets are clean. Just because they contain only water they still can get slimy inside and some horses wont drink from them as much. I find during cold weather warm water hits the spot with mine.

Good Luck and hopefully you find something that works

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Good point Julie. Horses have taste buds that are very sensitive, and many will not drink water if it is unpalatable. Perhaps the water from your faucet is off tasting if it is rich in minerals or sulfur. If it is cold out, some do not like cold water because it hurts their teeth and stomach to drink ice water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks I knew with Biggie horses used to swear by bringing water from home to the shows. They packed big containers of water in their trailer. Horses and dogs don't appreciate strange water, flavoring it sounds like a good idea. Get them used to it at home so the flavoring makes the water at the show taste like home.

Thanks so much for so many great idea. If one doesn't work with her in particular I'm sure another will. All this good information will help a lot of us with the same issue.

I have a couple of older fellows that have started drinking less in the last couple of years. My big guy will only drink out of light colored buckets(yeah he's a spoiled diva type). The other thing we do for them is add a can of beer to their feed. There is a noticeable difference in the amount they drink with and without the beer. Heaven help me if they get a taste for the expensive stuff! LOL

I can see it now when you get pulled over driving and trying to explain that he the horse has not been drinking. Very interesting and never heard of this. I can't imagine 1 can of beer would have much effect on a 1000 lb animal but maybe a 200 lb. Hum, have to research this one.
default_xreiter.gif

The beer is another old race track trick. I know when I drink beer it always makes me thirsty. My big guy is a real BIG guy. When he's in full weight he weigh's in at very close to 1400 lbs. One 12oz can of beer is enough to keep him drinking. Without the beer he cost me $500 in IV fluids last June. The little horses only need between 1/4 and 1/2 a can to get them to drink. Fortunately they don't mind it being flat the next day. ;)

Found something that works on her (all the above ideas are great too and thank you). Soak her hay at night.

Latest posts

Back