Need the old post- use of bute in mini's/ Dr. Pam?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkipsMom

Reaction score
At least a year ago I think Dr. Pam shared an article on the correct/safe use/dosage of bute in mini's. Seems like it covered several things. Does anyone have that saved on their computer?? If so, would you repost it, please. We are treating a mini at the clinic and Doc was concerned about using bute because the little guys are just such hard cases. I told him there had been an excellent article here and would ask about it this evening.

As for the mini, he had to have an eye removed because he impaled it on something. He is tougher than nails and breezed through the proceedue and recovery. He'll go home tomorrow.

Found this for you.

Dr. Pam Posted: Feb 15 2004, 09:29 AM
Just had several questions on this again, and it's worth reminding people periodically, so here's part of my reply:

Bute is incredibly toxic to minis, and for some reason a lot of vets out there don't realize this. Not only is there a very narrow safety margin, i.e. you have to be very accurate at dosing them, but there are minis who will have problems even at the correct dose. It should be given at 1mg per pound body weight, which means most minis will get 150 mg to 250 mg--1/4 tablet or less. A lot of vets seem to think the average mini weighs 500 pounds and have owners give 1/2 tablet twice daily. ARGGGG!!!

Bute toxicity can cause severe gastric and intestinal ulceration, to the point of perforation and death (in as little as 5-7 days), kidney and liver damage, bone marrow suppression, and lowered blood protein levels.

That said, I have used bute on selected minis for laminities, but at a low dose and for short periods of time. For almost everything else I use Banamine (which can also cause problems if dosed too high or too long, but has a wider safety margin)

From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook:

Adverse effects: Horses: oral and GI erosions and ulcers, hypoalbuminemia, diarrhea, anorexia, and renal (KIDNEY) effects.

Cautious use in both foals and ponies is recommended because of increased incidences of hypoproteinemia (LOW BLOOD PROTEIN LEVELS)and GI ulceration. Foals with a heavy parasite burden or that are undernourished may be more susceptible to development of adverse effects.

Phenylbutazone may cause decreased renal blood flow and sodium and water retention, and should be used cautiously in animals with preexisting renal disease or CHF (CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE).
I have used it for my minis, on occation. We use the powdered form, and most of my full-grown minis get 1/2 teaspoon...no more. I would never give it to a young horse.

THANK YOU!!! That is exactly the post I remembered!!! Doc had checked online last night and what he found was the problem was overdosing the little guys.

Again, thank you and after what happened to my smallest guy tonight I now have the proper dosing protocol.

Leslie

Latest posts

Back