Need Suggestions on fenceline erosion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
Our fence line on the back field is losing soil. That is where our horses walk ,get fed, and also get thier attention. Is there anything I can do to stop it that would be safe for our horses? I thought maybe some crushed gravel or something like that. the field is 6-8 inches lower due to the erosion of the soil. NO grass to hold it there as the horses have eaten ,tromped,and basically destrayed any vegetation there. So anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this ???

I have the same thing happen here too.

One of the stallion's fence lines is on a steep hill. And when we get really bad hard heavy rains, water gushes down the hill in that field, out of his field, and has been washing away what used to be the steep part between that field and the barnyard. Talk about erosion. This area has gotten worse over the past three years. Ideally, the entire fenceline should be moved back several feet, which I am not about to start doing that.

So first, Dan ditched a drainage ditch in front of the fence. The part that is in the pasture. So when the water gushes, it will slow down.

Then on the outside, the other side of the fence, where the actual erosion is, another ditch, and we dumped a truck load of huge 2 1/2 in gravels. This definately works.

Thanks for the suggestion Marty. I figured I needed to do something like that. Doesnt the big gravel hurt the horses feet ? I thought I may need to dump rock or something there but wanted to be sure I didnt do something that would hurt my babies...

Latest posts

Back