Need some of that soon to foal experence from any

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobie

Reaction score
Good morning all!

I live in Northern Ontario, and right now it is -4 (feels like -12) with the wind chill...

I have a mare that was pasture bred who has been showing that she is getter closer each day...

I don't have pics that I can post but need some help to make sure what I am thinking is the best thing.

I do believe the foal has positioned him/herself as this week she has that more defined V belly,

three days ago she went from no bag to developing what feels like the size and shape of a tube of toothpaste, not in her utter but in front of it.

Her hips had appeared to have dropped on Wen/Thur but not really soft,

but then last night when I let everyone in, and I did my checks, I find she has become really soft and jello in the hind.

But I dont see any real change in her vulva...

We checked on her through out the night and she was doing nothing but eating and sleeping!

This is my delema ....

I have to go away for the weekend and so my Dad is left to run the farm...

I am thinking that because of the weather and the signs she is showing that it is best to leave her inside while I am away.

This mare does not like to be left alone!!!

Could I do more damage keeping her in then taking the chance letting her out???

With the weather temperatures the way they are, I would leave her inside whether she likes it or not. The chances are, she will not foal this weekend, but what if she did? You would never forgive yourself. No foal could survive those kind of temperatures outside.

None of my horses wuold want to stay alone in the barn--only a mare after she's foaled and she has her baby with her. Is there a way you can arrange for her to have a buddy with her--in a neighboring stall where they can see each other? I don't think they should be in the same stall--but definitely 2 in the barn? I know easier said that done unless your barn is arranged for it. But, that'd help her not get stressed.

AHHHHH!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

See this is why this form is so amazing!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Of course I can leave in a buddy! :DOH!

I was so fixed on thinking only about her I did not think of that

(at this rate I may not make it to the birth!)
default_wacko.png

Thank you so much, I'll go out right now and set it up for "two" to spend the weekend in !!
default_yes.gif

default_biggrin.png

I know what you mean--sometimes my 11 year old barn buddy points out the obvious to me. Glad I could pass one on.
default_smile.png

Oh--and please give your dad a quick lesson about breaking sacs and red bags. I sit down with everyone on my mare stare team and give them lessons--wtih photos from books. And you can leave the books in the barn with post-it notes on important pages for quick reference. And don't forget to post the vet's number.
default_yes.gif

All that will help you to relax while you're away.

Best of luck with that new foal--whenever he or she appears.

I guess I am lucky as my in laws live next door to me and feed and check on my horses while my husband and I are away. My father in law has experience with calves being born and knows a bit about horse births. Makes me at ease to know they are in good hands. if I am just away my husband takes care of my horses.

You know it's just soooo hard to tell on some of these mares as to if they are really close to foaling!! But I think everyone has given you great advice about keeping her in and giving her someone for company. We went to the barn this morning to feed and found a little colt!! When I checked the mare last night I noticed that her back end was more relaxed, but her teets weren't full and separated and no wax............I was out there at 1:00 a.m. went back at 7 a.m. to feed and there he stood, not in the nice warm, tight foaling stall but in a regular stall. Last time she foaled all of the obvious signs were there, loose stool, wax, big, full bag, etc. Thank goodness all is well. Good luck on your mare and it sounds as if your taking good care of her!!
default_aktion033.gif

Yup Deb - I would for sure leave her in this weekend. They are forecasting snow showers for here tonight which likely means snow for you guys tomorrow and from what you showed me she is darned close!!!

Latest posts

Back