Need some more help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
Well my little big boy is licking the milk up pretty good from the bucket. But right now I am open to some suggestions. I just got back in from feeding him and while I was out there he tried kicking me with both back feet 3 or 4 times. I pushed his hinny over the first time - the next times I slapped him on the hip - each time he did the submissive ya ya thing with his mouth - but then tried again. I want respect from him as I know his mom would but I don't want him scared of me either. Thought the slapping him would work - it did for a second until he could turn his rear on me again - I tried staying at the front believe me - he even tried cow kicking me once. I know he probably is just as upset as I am about losing his mom but I don't want him venting on me. I actually turned him back in with the yearling filly - maybe her kicking the snot out of him will work - hate to say this as yesterday I really felt sorry for him when she did it - but he is showing respect towards her so far today - keeping his distance I should say. Was wondering if the newspaper would work that I think Marty suggested to someone trying? Or should I just keep pushing his rear away from me if I get in the direction of it? Any suggestions - as like I said I want respect - all of my horses have it - I just don't want him scared of me though - especially since he is just starting to lick the milk good. Thank you all so much again - Vickie

I don't personally like too much discipline for a young foal--am generally more into shoving them aside when they try to kick or bite. Truth be told, most foals don't get a whole lot of discipline from their mothers--some of our babies will lay a real good thumping on their mamas when things don't go their way--mare doesn't stand still when she should when the foal wants to nurse, or whatever, and the foal gets mad & pins his/her ears & starts kicking.

Here a week old foal just gets pushed aside for kicking; once they're a bit older I watch them closer & make sure one doesn't take a kick at me when he/she gets ripping around, running & bucking & kicking as foals do. By the time they're 3 mos. old I expect them to mind their manners, and a nip or kick will get a smack on the shoulder or rump...

Our horses are spoiled rotten, but none are bad mannered so we must be doing things right.

I'm glad to hear your boy is starting to drink from the bowl.

the breeder I bought Dar_b from has a yearlin colt that tries to bite her. Usually it is when she is feeding,. What she did was to leave him with no breakfast till she was done feeding the rest of her horses then go back to him and feed. She said he learned cause he stayed away from his feeder till she had put in his feed. Maybe the pushing him away first would be a good idea followed by leaving if he tries it a second time. Of course I dont mean all day but just walk away from him for like 5 or ten minutes, reenter his space and if he tries it again, walk away. If he wants your company he will learn that kicking makes you leave. He isnt going to want that.

Will be interesting to see how he does. Keep us posted please.

I'm glad your boy is doing well enought to be naughty! I usually push them aside with a foot or my arm, I have also been known to "bite" like a mare would. You know how they whip their head over to nip and say QUIT! I use my finger nails flash like momma. Casey sure learned. I agree disiplining a baby needs to go really slow.

Was wondering if the newspaper would work that I think Marty suggested to someone trying?

That wasn't me.

I don't really know what I'd do actually since it's a foal but I know I'm not into geting myself kicked at either.

I'd like to hear what others are going to say.

Sorry Marty - and no I am not at all found at being kicked at since his feet can already reach chest/head high on me. I have really been rubbing him down everywhere - thought he might have a touchy part - he kicked at me again tonight and without thinking I kicked back - as this is what I've always done with anyone that has threatened to kick me. He done the ya ya thing and then it took me awhile to get close to him again - but I did and loved on him somemore

Our dear RabbitsFizz made the suggestion of using a rolled newspaper. It does work well but you smack YOUR leg to startle not hit him. He will associalte his bad behaviour with the loud noise and your firm loud QUIT!

Nickermaker said:
I have really been rubbing him down everywhere - thought he might have a touchy part -  he kicked at me again tonight and without thinking I kicked back - as this is what I've always done with anyone that has threatened to kick me.  He done the ya ya thing and then it took me awhile to get close to him again - but I did and loved on him somemore
420773[/snapback]

I've kicked my horses in response to them kicking at me and so far it's worked. They have only kicked at me a couple times before learning that it does fly around here.

My little yearling mini stallion kicked me and made contact and I just spun around and kicked him in the butt; boy did he look surprised. Immediately afterwards I rubbed on him and such. He hasn't tried to kick me since, it's been almost a month. He's a gentleman and watches that he doesn't invade my space. I'm sure we'll have to have a reminder when his hormones go into over drive.

It' always tough to figure out what is too much and not enough in the way of disipline especially in an orphan foal situation. Kicking is not acceptable and it is bad when the little guys try it but much worse when the big guys get you. You can be hurt even if they are young so now is the time to discourage that behavior. I don't allow my horses to turn their butt to me at any time. I would suggest popping him with an open palm every time him tries it. If you are consistent he will pick up very quickly that this is not acceptable. If he kicks I would kick back but moments later quietly talk and pet in a caressing manner. My horses get a lot of touching, soft petting, talked to but if I growl or say quit they know the difference and stop immediately. That is the balance you want to strive for. Consistent, hard line approach for bad behavior and lots of positive reenforcement of good behavior. If you start the pattern now in his life he will learn quickly and make everything much easier for the rest of his life.

Latest posts

Back