Need some input

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was there a contract for the lease? If so, court may be the only way to go.

As for the Vet's knowing the foal came from the mare, there isn't any way to really prove the vet knew that which papers belong to that particular mare. I have 4 black mares, and when the vet comes he has no idea which mare is Princess, Dixie, Firefly, or Pebbles, other than when I tell him their names. So I can understand AMHA's refusal to take the vet's word the foal belongs to the mare listed on the paperwork.

What a mess -- it's very unfortunate!!

Best of luck in getting this all straightened out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good input and also the comments from the people who truly know what a disreputable breeder this woman is. I have bought horses from this woman who comes off as a friendly, knowledgeable breeder. I had no idea what I was really getting into until I became very friendly with Michelle Sharrock and became her sounding board. I wanted to lease a couple mares for each of my stallions and agreed to take one of her stallions and 9 mares because she didn't have a place to breed him. We had a signed lease agreement that split the foals bred from these mares and the filly in question was coowned. I paid $1000 for her 1/2 interest in this filly. Her dam went into respiratory distress within 4-5 hours and was fine earlier in the day. I immediately took her to the vet and was ICU status for a week. She went into hyperlipdemia which we were able to reverse quickly as she was already under care. This mare was so sick but hung in there anyway and it became a matter between me and the mare and not the owner. She was fighting for her life and the vets and I had talked about putting her down but couldn't quite give up on her. She got better and I took her in for tube feedings daily until she could eat on her own. She got better until she was out with the herd again. 1 1/2 weeks later she went into respiratory distress again and it was decided to put her down at that point. I took her 5 1/2 week old filly and was able to put her on one of my other mares but only for nursing. I am her mama and was the one who gave her love and attention. You can see how I am not letting this filly go at this point. The vet bill was $2400 but it is only money and I can make more. This is now a $3500 filly I can't get papers on.

The mare owner won't turn her in as deceased and I have offered to pay for the dna. I have hair the mare slipped after she died but Davis can't do the test so I have been trying to talk with Shelterwood to see if they can do it as they do forensic testing. Amha won't do comparisons with family members. The mare owner is selling her herd so even if Amha were to step in it wouldn't matter to her. If I took this woman to court she would destroy the hair and say she doesn't have it.

My stand is that Amha shouldn't be so hard line about dna testing if the mare is deceased before being dna'd and it is well documented by vets that this is indeed the filly from the deceased mare. The filly can still be dna'd and compared with the stallion but Amha won't go for it.

Any other suggestions?

I had a somewhat similar situation-- only OUR horse (stallion) was DNA'd -- but before the foal was born -- the stallion died.(in November of certain year). The foal was born in May -- Stallion turned 5 in February-- so they sent back the papers as stallion had not been brought permanent. Yuo cannot bring perm BEFORE their actual birthday-- he died prior to his 5th birtday -- cannot bring a dead horse permanent. SOOO -- I had to write a letter stating all the dates

( stallion report had been filed as well.) and stating I was unaware you had to send in the papers within 30 days. We had also lost our prize show mare & had not sent her papers in either.- perhaps this helped my case??

Board of directors had to then make a decision whether or NOT we could register this filly. thank goodness, they did allow her to be registerd, but what a rig a me role to get a baby registered off 2 registered & both DNA'd parents.

Ths stallion was a ROWDY grandson so I sure wanted the baby to be registerd & it was her RIGHT to be registered.(only had 2 foals from him).

SO don't count on any exceptions.!!

Latest posts

Back