Need some help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
i know that some members arent happy with me right now but i really need some help with my mare Honey.

This is what her ears look like right now from bugbites and it only the start of the season! i'm very worried

right ear

IMG_2129.jpg

left ear

IMG_2128.jpg

This is from cleaning out ONE ear

IMG_2130.jpg

she's also very touchy with her ears, which is totally unlike her! are there some home remedies i could put in her ears or something? maybe a mini sized ear net? i tried looking for one but cant seem to find any.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are mini-sized fly masks that have attached ear nets, that may be the best way to go. Those ears look so sore, poor girl!
default_sad.png

looks like flies are tearing her up! Im having problem with ticks there horrible so i went and got that permectrin powder to dust over them. I gave tweety a bath and man she was covered so i washed her really good but first soaked her down in fly and tick spray to get them off it was so nasty. I itched and felt like i had stuff crawling on me all day! YUCK:(

You can smear some vaseline inside the ear--put quite a thick layer of it in & the bugs can't get to the ear itself to bite. The Swat fly repellent for wounds works well too. Either one will make kind of a mess of the ears because dirt will stick to it, but if you use the stuff regularly it does work to keep the bugs out.

There are mini-sized fly masks that have attached ear nets, that may be the best way to go. Those ears look so sore, poor girl!
default_sad.png

i tried that last year, but she hates them. i put it on her and she took it off in a few minutes from scratching and pawing at it. she doesnt like things over her eyes.

We use swat fly repellent on all of our animal's ears and it works great! My poor collie always gets her ears chewed up so she gets some put on every morning before going out. You should give it a try
default_smile.png

We use swat fly repellent on all of our animal's ears and it works great! My poor collie always gets her ears chewed up so she gets some put on every morning before going out. You should give it a try
default_smile.png

where do you buy it from? do you just spray it in the ear?

Swat is a gel/cream, and it can usually be found at a tack and feed store, or online. There's clear and there is bright pink, good for knowing when it's wearing off.
default_smile.png

If you know anyone who sells Avon, the Avon skin-so-soft works really well too. Pour some on a rag or baby wipe and just wipe it all over inside the ear. Keeps the bugs out and also I think helps to heal the ear.

Kelly

There's clear and there is bright pink

that is AWESOME!! i can just imagine seeing honey walking around with bright pink ears....
default_new_rofl.gif

has anyone ever tried cutting the face part off a fly mask with ears? would that work to protect her ears?

Molly's Run. Thst is exactly what I was thinking. Farnham makes a nice mini fly mask with ears. I think you would have to leave most of the face part intact so it would stay on but I f she really won't let you put things on her eyes maybe you could just cut a little around the eyes.Uou can get a roll on fly repellent for around her eyes.

The best product we've found to use for this problem is Corona Salve!
default_yes.gif
Not only will the gnats and bug stay away, but it heals the ears!

Bill
default_wink.png

Well first of all you need to get her ears healed up. I would try Vetericyn. It should treat her ears.

http://store.vetericyn.com/index.php/ear-care/vetericyn-all-animal-ear-rinse-4-oz.html

Secondly you can get a roll on fly repellent and put some in and around her ears or you can even just use fly spray and spray it on a rag and wipe her ears down. I also wonder if spot on fly repellent would work as well, like flea prevention for dogs.

Another idea for covering her ears is to use ladies nylons. You know, nylons that women wear with heels and skirts. It will require some sewing savvy, but the knit of the nylons will keep out most bugs. You just sew it so it has ear pieces, and ties under the chin. If she gets it caught on anything, it will rip, and it's cheap to make.

Lots of good ideas here. I have a mare that her neck gets eaten up every spring by bugs, and I'll be trying a few of these ideas with her.

I like to use desitin. It has a high melting point and heals the scabs and doesn't make the ear gooey. Pink swat works too, but I usually use desitin. After they heal I use the roll on fly repellent and just take a swipe on the ears for protection.

I was just thinking you could get one of the fly veils that the full-size horses wear, they are worn while the horse is being ridden. They cover the ears and have a "v" coming down over the forehead but it doesn't cover the eyes. You see them in the hunter/jumper ring. I believe I heard someone on the forum say that they make them in mini-size now. You could just attach it to your horses halter instead of a bridle.

I use a product called R.M. Minard's GNatural cream. It is a bug repellant, sunscreen and helps bug bites heal. I buy mine at Smartpak Equine. I see now it is on sale. A little ges a long way. I still have plenty left after using it in 2 minis and my fjord last year.

Angie

I have one who gets irritated eyes with fly masks, no matter what the brand. I have gone ahead and cut the eye part out and left the ears. worked just fine!

Latest posts

Back