Need some help with dwarf colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candleliteranch

Reaction score
We had a little dwarf colt born a week ago. He spent the first three days of his life in the house to keep him warm and so I was better able to help him nurse. He's on 2 different antibiotics twice a day for pnuemonia and doing much better.

"Sprout" is so full of love and mischeif at this young age. When he was born and we realized he is a dwarf my S.O. looked at me and said "well what are we going to do with him?". One look into his beautiful eyes and there was only one answer. That was to love him and care for him. Sprout is my sugar pie-honey bun and I can't believe how much I love him! If he was registerable his name would be "Candlelites Touched By An Angel" but since he's not he'll be known as "My little Sprout"

I would appreciate it if any of you that have raised a dwarf could pm me and answer a few questions for me.

I am sorry you had the happen:( It is so sad to see such great little creatures be like that!! But i would just give him the best life he can have!! Susan Oberg has a little on her website www.allwest.com/hhh Hope that helps

-Gage

Sorry to hear your little one is a dwarf, but I sure know the way they drive that love of theirs straight to your heart! They are awesome little horses! I always say that what they lack in conformation, they make up for in personality!
yes.gif

Good Luck with Sprout!

Mona said:
Sorry to hear your little one is a dwarf, but I sure know the way they drive that love of theirs straight to your heart!  They are awesome little horses!  I always say that what they lack in conformation, they make up for in personality! 
yes.gif

Good Luck with Sprout!

360333[/snapback]

That is soooo very true Mona!! I just love them!! and they are allways so positive!! Poor little guys I guesse the best we can do is just keep studying and give the best life we can to them!!

Oh and You probably wouldnt want to breed the same sire and dam together again cause that is just another chance of a dwarf!!

-Gage

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa - You know you can email or call me anytime. Perhaps I can help a little or maybe put you in touch with a friend of mine who knows much about dwarves. I can tell you they are particularly lovable & sweet & sooooooo easy to fall in love with!
wub.gif

Don't mean to stir things up here, but I've been told the opposite of what Gage said. Tony told me there's a tiny chance that the pair might produce a dwarf again, but a good chance the two could be bred again & never produce another dwarf. All depends on how the dice fall. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, Tony, if you happen to read this. - k

In order for the horse to produce a dwarf both parents have to be carrying the dwarf gene. This is also true of LWO. No-one in their right mind breeds two LWO together. The percentages for a dwarf sire the same as a LW foal, therefore it makes sense NOT to breed the two animals together again. There is , However, no guarantee, without a test, that the next sire will not also carrying one half of the genetic. Now it is established that the Dam carries the genetic, unless you can find an older sire with many babies and NO dwarf foals ever, there is no guarantee it will not happen again.

I agree that caution should be used, & I'm not saying the pair would NOT produce another dwarf. I'm just saying that the pair could be bred many times & not produce a dwarf again. I understand the genetics & also those of LWO. I am not inexperienced with genetics - one of my passions.

I'm not trying to make an argument here, but just stating what I've been told by someone who has produced HUNDREDS of foals and has great & respected knowledge and experience in breeding miniatures.
yes.gif
Life has almost no guarantees about anything.

This is a little
offtopic.gif
by the way! We stole Lisa's post........sorry, Lisa!

Lisa, I know exactly what you mean by there unconditional love..I have Cherokee, who is a very minimal dwarf, and will be 6yrs.old, he is a complete sweetheart. Please email me if you thnk I can help you with anything. Give that little fellow a great big hug and kiss from me. Corinne

[SIZE=14pt]Hi candleliteranch
saludando.gif
...I am so pleased to hear that you have fallen in love with your little Sprout.
biggrin.gif
[/SIZE]

Please join us on the forum I started up a few months ago called, " Little Bit's"...it's not just for dwarf miniature horses, it's a suport group for the little *Magic Shoes* horses & their owners and for all kinds of special animals, but lots of the members do have dwarf minis.
yes.gif

I'm the lady who designs corrective shoes for horses, so if little Sprout has leg problems, please e-mail me and we can talk about them, or any other concerns you may have about Sprout. Here's my e-mail addy: [email protected]

Here's the address for Little Bit's: http://www.sunshineforums.com/forum/?mforum=littlebit

Hugs & kisses to little Sprout.

XOXOXOXOXOX

Janell

I'd like to thank everyone that offered help and advice for Sprout. I'll get back to all of you asap. I've been ill since I posted the original thread and hopefully will be back soon. Thanks again
smile.gif

smile.gif
I listen to folks who say " I am sorry to hear you have a dwarf" and think they may be missing the point....I believe these little fellas are brought into our lives for a reason. I have a dwarf who has taught me many things over the years. Let me tell you about him.... Lucky is his name ( very appropriate seeing that he was stuck in the birth canal and I had to assist to get him out) and his in now 6 years old. ( which seems to be very old for dwarfs). After he was born I spent weeks giving him shots to help with the soft pallet he had. He kept getting milk down the wrong pipe. He soon grew out of that.

His rear legs were very crooked at the pastern and his front left leg is bowed ( which I believe hung him up inside mom. By the way , I was able to push him back in a little to manipulate him back out. This with the help of my husband on the phone with the vet. THANK YOU Dr. Michele) I took him to a farrier who made him special shoes out of epoxy & metal plates. Over the months we changed his shoes 3 times. It helped some and I figured that's about as good as the shoes can do. Over the years I have kept his feet trimmed close & try to keep his weight down. I also include some special food supplement in his feed. He is a WONDERFUL little guy and feel nature has given him more brains to make up for his other short comings. I love him with all my heart and will make his life as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. I know the day will come when he just can't get up anymore & I will have to make the " tough decision". In the meantime I take all the wonderful lessons and love
wub.gif
he gives me and just enjoy everyday we have. Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions or special stories you would like to share. V

aktion033.gif

While I agree that it is possible for the sire and dam of a dwarf to not have any more if bred togther again (or seperate for that matter but that isnt what this is about)
wink.gif

Why on earth would you risk it? with so many miniature horses to choose from and so very few percentage wise that truly make the breed I dont see why it would be worth it but that is JMO

Latest posts

Back