Need some advice on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
Hi All,

I inquired about a hackney mare in Nebraska a few weeks back. I got a response and the young girl sounds like she is getting desperate. The mare is 12, broke to drive but had an accident and she says destroyed the cart (haven't seen pics). She says she hasn't tried to drive her since. She said the mare has papers but because of something the previous ownere did (or didn't do) the papers were never transferred. She isn't asking much for this mare but right now, I just can't do it. The last email I got from her was that her dad was getting antsy and she was afraid if she didn't sell her he was going to take her to the sale! I'd rather not see that happen. The mare is a beautiful girl with lots of potential. Can any of you offer me some suggestions? I'd love to get her myself.

HELP!

well technically shes not a rescue unless they want to hand her over, which it sounds like they wont. Maybe you could put her price on here and the owners email in case anyone here is looking. Has she tried putting her on the LB Saleboard??

As far as I know, they have only listed on dreamhorse. She is a beautiful black with white feet and a blaze. If anyone is interested, she is in Nebraska. They are asking $450 for her. I can give them the email if anyone is interested.

Thanks Kay.

Those are pretty cool ponies.

Everyone knows I don't know a thing about driving. But I do know horses and a bit about training one and re-schooling a screw up.

I'd say that if she flipped out and went a little nuts, maybe it wasn't the first time it happened and they really want her out of there. She may have proved dangerous and of course, they may have not known what they were doing either. So it's a toss up there.

I'd also say that in a case like this, a change of ownership and location is a good move.

I'd let her winter, rest, re-group, and then prepare to re-program her in the spring.

Acting like she is not broke to drive at all.

I would start her over from scratch.

I would ground drive her in a round pen, see what she knows......but again, acting like she doesn't know anything. And keep with that thought and completely re-school her and re-start her.

For $450, I don't think you can go wrong.

And if she still proves to be a meathead in driving, then she would be a candidate for riding and I'd break her to saddle instead.

I'd go with it and give her a chance.

Latest posts

Back