Need owners opinion again on a new tool

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking for one to use for farrier work, I would suggest a calf sling and a cheap pulley. I have used a sling and pulley and am able to trim and clip by myself. If you get their feet off the floor, they relax and you can work much quicker with less stress.

Rick

Do you have a picture of your calf sling and pulley, sounds interesting any pictures with the horse lifted up like that?

Shoot, I never put a halter on a new foal for restraint. ANY foal will fit in an adult size halter of their breed (arabian, mini, shetland, draft, etc.) as a harness. Simply slip the noseband over the foal's head, situate the strap that goes between the throat and the noseband along the withers, and then run the crown (the strap that goes over the mare's head behind the ears) under the foal's elbows/girth and buckle it up. The foal will fit in this halter for a month or two of age. You can snap the leadrope to the ring at the withers and voila! it does not put any pressure on the neck or head of the foal, but rather the chest and girth of the foal. You can grab the strap on the withers of the foal too to catch or restrain it. No need to buy a $100 contraption. You can just use the mare's halter. I hope this description works for you, I have used this on foals from Andalusians size all the way down to minis. Draft foals, I imagine you could but they are so darn BIG...

Andrea

I was thinking the same thing Andrea. But I have never had to do anything like that for a foal to do feet. But I just have minis and shetlands, so I start picking their feet up within the first week. My farrier loves me, they stand pretty quiet for him.

lots of owners and breeders dont pick up the babies feet only when i come

i like the idea that they have a hard time to back up

and the $100 is in NZ currency not USA

might think about it

i can see uses for it

The sling I use is made by Munks Mfg, you can get an idea of how it's used at: http://www.livestocksling.com/Sheep-All_Products.html

The small one cost about $20-$25 and the larger yearling sized sling is about $30-$40. My pulley came from Cabela's at a cost of $14 or you can get an electric one for $70-$80 from Harbor Freight, and the i-bolt cost about $2 from Lowe's.

By using the sling, it is a one man operation to trim babies. I start trimming the foals at about 1 month and they don't have brains at that age. This makes for a quiet, quick and less stressful trim. Also, you can clip the young ones without wrestling them or using drugs, I start on the head, then the legs; after that, they stand quietly without the sling for the rest of the body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back