Need major prayers...colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunQuest

Reaction score
Well, it has been one heck of a weekend. Our only surviving colt from last year has been colicing all weekend long. Yesterday morning he was down and the vet was out and he was tubed. He seemed to be doing better 4 hours later so I wanted to go get lunch, and he was down again and rolling. So we got him up, walked him, gave more banamine, and he seemed to be doing better. Then at 7 he got a light meal on the dry pasture, and well, he coliced again. So at 9 pm I was waiting on the vet to return out call because she was in colic surgery. Well, I took him in to the clinic at midnight, and well, he is still there. They thought he was passing some of the oil, but today they tried to get him on so solid food, and well, he has coliced again around 4pm. They think he is impacted and are going to try to over hydrate him to get it to pass. We won't do colic surgery as the chances are 50/50 and I won't put him through that, even if they were to do it for free. Please say some major prayers as this boy is VERY VERY special to us as he is the surviving foal from last years rough year where we lost our precious Blossom and the other one was aborted prematurely. (We only bred for 3 horses last year and this year we haven't had any foals and I am not breeding any for next year. I am so worried as I have never had a colic case this bad
no.gif

Oh he is the little foal that is silohetted in my avatar. And here is a picture of him from last year. I haven't taken any this year as I just haven't had the time or the help available as mom has a stress fracture in her foot (AGAIN!).

CopperBrandySmall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry I know how scary it is. Hopefully the IV fluids will work.

Doesnt help that for some reason they charge way more then many for a colic surgery and demand 2500-3000 up front. Such a very helpless feeling I have been there so totally understand.

Keep us posted - he will be in our thoughts

Just went through this with a little one of my own (at a friends house), and I feel for you. Sending big hugs and lots of prayers for your little one. Please keep us posted.

[SIZE=14pt]I will pray for you and the little colt!!I know how scary it is when your fav horse colics!!I hope he pulls through!!Best wishes!![/SIZE]
pray.gif

Nila I'm so sorry he's having such a rough time of it.
no.gif

I feel the same way you do about colic surgery. My fingers are crossed and positive thoughts along with big hugs are being sent your way.

Positive thoughts and prayers going out to your little guy. I hope he comes around very soon!

Sending prayers and good thoughts for both you and your baby. Godspeed him to a healthy recovery.

Oh Nila, That is rough! Praying that God's Light shines down on your little guy. It's the watching your loved one in pain and feeling helpless.........Wish I could give you some comfort for HIM.

MA

Nila this is just horrible. I really hope the fluids work. It's very possible so don't give up hope. I just lit a little candle here for you. I completely agree about the surgery too. Free or not, it's a ruff one so I understand where you are coming from. Many hugs Nila across the miles from me to you.

UPDATE:

Well, it is 10:30 here and I just got some news from the vet. It is neither good or bad. He is still the same as he has been all weekend long. The thing is that the vet now does NOT think he is impacted. The bloodwork is staying somewhat stable, but his white cell counts are off indicating a possible infection going on. They say they feed him a handful of food and he may or may not be ok. Definately very up and down. So the vets are now thinking it is one of two things. Either he has an inflamed colin or he has ulcers. He definately has an appetite, so that is good, but the not knowing what is happening is worrysome. So tomorrow they are going to do an ultrasound and possibly scope him to see what is going on. I am not sure on the ulcer thing as I haven't seen any indication of him playing in the water and he hasn't had any stress at all this whole summer other than being moved to the pasture with the rest of the boys in May. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and prayers, and keep them going as we just want him healthy again so he can come home soon. I will update this post again just as soon as I find out more which I suspect won't be until later tomorrow.

Oh Nila, I'm hoping it's ulcers! That is so much easier to solve. You can get your little guy on the ulcer meds immediately without a problem....even if he DOESN'T have an ulcer, those meds won't hurt him.

Keeping the prayers coming!

MA

Nila - so sorry to read this!

I did post a long reply, but was bounced out - drat!

Here is a link to chronic colic/gastro problems HorsemansAdvisor

If your colt is receiving Banamine or antibiotics, ask your vet about putting him on FastTrack. It is a fabulous probiotic that really helps with the stomach/intestines. We use it for all horses getting meds, show horses (stress) and any that are off on their feed or have diahrrea.

I'm with you on the colic surgery.

We'll keep him and you in our thoughts.

Nila-

You certainly have my prayers. I'm hoping for a good report from you today.

I know where you are coming from as I had to take Dawn to Surgi-Care yesterday morning at 4:00. They did x-rays and an ultrasound immediately. They showed a lot of gas, but no obvious impactions. At last report last night, she was spunking around and having runny poops. She's allowed no food though.

These horses sure know how to tug at our heart strings. The very best of luck to you.

Barbie

Nila,

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy being sick. What a scary and helpless feeling.

It sounds like you have a good vet and that he is getting good care.

Hugs and prayers for you and your precious little man!!

Nila, I am so sorry to hear about your colt. How did he do overnight? Praying for the best for you and him. Corinne

Latest posts

Back