Need major prayers...colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sending prayers your way
unsure.gif

Another update...

It is not good. The vets don't know what is wrong with him. Dr. Borders has checked him for ulcers and ultrasounded him and they don't know what is happening. (I really really like Dr. Borders... He was there for me with Blosson, and now this guy. But I also know Dr. Borders has been talking with other vets as well. They said that he is loosing ground and has been HEAVILY sedated for the last 10 hours. Every time the meds start to wear off, he gets really painful. I have contacted Bonnie Fogg and the reading indicated that his liver, splean, and lungs are working hard. His colin and gut are really bothering him. Bonnie explained that it is like when a human has the stomach flu. Anyway, we are waiting for the vet to call us back so we can talk with them further as to where to go from here. I will try to let you all know, but right now it is looking really really gloomy.

But I did want to share with you a little laugh that I had during the reading. He wanted the reading done "his way", which is typical for him. Laughs. He reared up and then jumped on my foot with his hind foot Saterday night because he didn't want to go into that big barn. He was very determined to have it "his way". So yep, Bonnie got the right horse! And Bonnie also said he was a really wise horse. Sounds so like him. We have always said that he is really smart and super level headed for such a young horse.

Please continue to keep us in your thoughts as I suspect we will need all the strength that we can get in the hours ahead as it is looking like we will need to make some really really tough desicions.

And Bonnie... Thank you so much for helping me on such a very short notice! Your help means more to me than you know.

Oh honey, I've been off the forum all weekend and just saw your thread. I'm thinking of you, and sending you big hugs and keeping you in my prayers...

Liz R.

I thought of our little horse all during the night. I know what you are going through. He is such a beautiful fellow. I wish I knew what to say, but words mean nothing right now. We will be here to listen and sympathize. Special prayers to you.

Have they scoped him? Is it possible he has a stomach impaction - it's not common, but it can be fixed without surgery. Sounds just like our Gabby - heart, liver everything went nuts - she had a heck of an appetite but would act colicky. They had to do a "Coke Lavage" to clear the material out of her stomach and it worked - thank God!

It's easier to do a scope than surgery - here's praying that they find the problem and a remedy quickly. Your little guy sounds tough - sounds like he's a fighter.

Sending more prayers!!!!!

Don't give up hope, this is exactly what happened with Ally this spring, her calcium and protein levels, went haywire...she was so sick. Her white blood cells, had a high temp, small intestine inflamed. One week in the hospital and now she is doing just great.

Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way.

Oh Nila...

I can only echo what the people here on the Forum are telling you...hang in there. If you need to, give me a call...I can be with you at the hospital if you want, or whatever you need...I know how hard it is to have a sick horse.

Know that good thoughts are headed your way, and the colt's way...We're cheering for him...and you!

Kim R.
thumbup.gif
pray.gif

I know that previously they didnt have a scope small enough to use on a mini foal or yearling to really see what is going on. If they still dont have one there you can try calling some small animal vets and see if they will "loan" one to the hosptial for you to be able to see what is going on.

Keep us posted

so sorry to read about his colic. He is a cute little fella and I wish him a speedy recovery. Colics are no fun so I know what you are going thru.

Joyce

Sending prayers for your little guy, I sure hope they can figure out what is wrong with him and get him going on the road to recovery! Good luck!

BUMP!!! Prayers still coming your way.

Barbie

Thank you all for your thoughts.... It really means a lot to us. But we lost Copper this afternoon. God bless him. He was in very severe pain. They had him very heavily sedated. They scoped him, Ultrasounded him, checked for sand and worms. Nothing showed up. They don't know what was wrong. When my Mom and I went to see him, his eyes were lifeless. You could tell he was not really there. His brave soul... He stood up for us for one final time. He had his back hunched, and his tail trembled as if he was freezing. It was all our pretty boy could do for us. We held him as he took his last breath. I don't know why this happened. He was our ray of hope and our light in our darkest hours and now he is gone....

Rest in peace my love...

SQ Summer Gold Summer Copper

May 1, 2004 - August 22, 2005

no.gif
Oh no Nila, I am SOOOOOO sorry to read your news. I know he thanks you for making the decision for him. He sounds like a real little trooper. (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry to hear this...at least he is in heaven pain free and running a rucus (SP) And you were there to say good bye. I lost my 29 year old and didn't get to say good bye. I don't know what I cried harder for not being there or him passing away.

Nila, I am so sorry to hear that he's gone. I just now read this thread and was hoping to read a good outcome, but I know you did all you could for him.

You have to realize that, too.

I wish you comfort and peace in your time of grief.

Liz M.

Very sorry for your loss it is a hard thing to come to terms with when you have no answers.

Back