Need info on foot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEL Minis

Reaction score
Ok my friend called me to her farm last week to take a look at her stud. On his hind foot at the base where the coffin joint is it look like he is double jointed. It only do this some times not all the time. When it does it there is a popping sound. A similar sound to the popping when they have patella lexsation(sp?).

Anyone seen or heard of this? Her vet has never seen it and said it may be that the fetlock or other joint may have joint laxity and be over extending. I have asked my vet if he has seen or heard of anything like this but he also said not. Now my vet has not see the horse I just described it to him.

She would like to know what this is as she does not want to breed him if it is hereditary.

Thanks

Becky

Wouldn't have a clue without a picture.

If he's older could be seismoiditis or artheritis, ringbone, sidebone etc. Got plenty there to choose from a mile long.

Might be a blown suspensory ligament...without a picture kinda hard to guess.....however if the suspensory is blown it is not uncommon for the fetlock to actually almost touch the ground at times.......special shoes can help support the animal......talk to a farrier they often are more familiar with lower leg ailments than alot of vets...(not vet bashing)

Back