need identification on a blue snake

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
The cat got this in my barn today and I have never seen a snake or anything else this color. The cat be-headed it before I could grab the camera.

snaketail.jpg

Hate to inform you, but that "reptile part" is NOT from a snake. That is a lizard tail. Lizards can voluntarily drop their tails (they break painlessly right off) when threatened, and the tail retains some "movement" to it! So the cat or whatever can entertain itself with the tail moving around while the lizard runs off to save itself. The lizard will regrow the tail, although it generally won't be as "pretty" as the original tail in color and scale pattern.

Where in the country are you? It will help me figure out what sort of lizard it came off of.

Andrea

Oh I see you are in OK. That tail probably belonged to an "ARKANSAS BLUE TAIL LIZARD." I Googled a picture for you, so you can see it has legs
default_smile.png

esskiltonsisk.jpg

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, I would have a heart attack if I where to come across something like that. Between the giant man eating moles and now this I might just have nightmares
default_new_shocked.gif

Thank You!

A lizard I can deal with but I have a phobia when it comes to snakes. All I saw was the tail as it went into a pile of hay and when I reached for the camera, the cat took off with the rest of it.

I used the zoom on the camera because I wasn't getting near that pile of hay!

She had already caught a garter snake earlier in the day. That is why I try so hard to keep the hay in the feeders, now if the mares would just co-operate and not drag it all out into the floor.

Mary

Oh I see you are in OK. That tail probably belonged to an "ARKANSAS BLUE TAIL LIZARD." I Googled a picture for you, so you can see it has legs
default_smile.png

esskiltonsisk.jpg

Andrea

I know some folks are grossed out by lizards..........but I think he is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

If it's not poisonous, I would encourage the little guy's habitat because I bet he is taking care of a lot of pests!

Sorry, but a lizzard is just a snake on legs to me....still very yucky :DOH!. Beautiful is not the first word that comes to mind .....
default_unsure.png

I have to agree.....they are beautiful, and they will keep the insect population down. A lizard that size will not hurt much of anything, and they are NOT slimy. No need to be creeped out.
default_smile.png

Is it a type of skink? If so, he will bite. Have not seen that one in western OK.

We have gorgeous mountain boomer lizards here. Unfortunately, the population is decimated by cats. Too bad we cannot teach those instinctive hunters to be selective. Get the gophers, the rattlesnakes, the rats, please, and leave my songbirds and mountain boomers alone.

What an awesome color of tail!!! Royal shiney blue. I had not seen your thread Mary,......until now. I posted one a few minutes ago that my cat got downstairs in the basement. I'm trying to identify it as well. Looks like the time of year for snakes and lizards to be caught. That lizard looks like a skink to me too....very pretty.

Cool i didn't know that lizards tales could fall off
default_laugh.png

WOW he looks kool!!! I have heard too that the lizards tails will come off, my brother once had an iquanah(sp) and he got loose in his house. when the caught him his tail came off too, they named him "Bob" after that lol.

I'll trade to the ugly alligator lizards we have here for him. He's pretty. I do believe that thing is some sort of skink or salamandar. Not sure though.

Latest posts

Back