NEED HELP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvminis

Reaction score
I have thrush (I think ) and all the tack shops are closed right now.What can I safely use? The amount ? Do I need to wrap the hoof or do I dip it and take it out? I have never had to do this !! I am nervous !!

I don't know if it's the "right" product to use, but I used iodine on my little mare when I first brought her home for her smelly feet. I was out of my usual thrush/white line product and we had iodine around from calving, so figured it couldn't hurt. It did seem to help some. I didn't have a sprayer for the iodine, so used an empty syringe with no needle to "inject" it around her frogs.

You will know if your horse has thrush by the odor. It's a horrible smell when you clean their feet. A healthy hoof won't stink. I can tell from 5 feet away if somone's horse has thrush when they are picking their feet.

There are several things you can use that you can get at the drug store. My farrier uses hydrogen peroxide and just pours it on while holding the foot up. Make sure it is clean first and hold it til it stops bubbling.

You can also use iodine, betadine or a solution of clorox and water. With the clorox and water solution you need to mix aproximately 1/4 cup of bleach with a quart of water. Pour it on while holding the hoof up and try not to get it on their skin. You want to hold the hoof so it runs over the frog and off the front of the hoof. I have never had this hurt a horse but any kind of bleach tears my skin up so I try to be careful with it.

Whatever you do, you need to contact your farrier because they will need to clean the diseased frog out. Then you can treat it with whatever the farrier recommends but you will need to do it several times a week or daily until it is totally gone.

Take a deep breath. Thrush is nasty but it is very rarely an emergency. If you have any doubts at all, you can use the hydrogen peroxide until your farrier comes even if that's a few days or a week.

Quick Question,
wacko.gif

Will it hurt a horse, if it doesn't have thrust, and you apply the bleach mixture?

Sometimes my gelding's smells as bad as you discribed it, but it goes away durring the summer and comes when it is a wet time. I clean his hoofs every two days and somtimes evey day.

No it will not hurt the horse. My farrier actualy recommends, as did my last two farriers, that each time you clean the feet, you just spray a bit of the bleach/water mix in there. Never did have a case of thrush after that.

Thanks so much everyone !!

Cindy,I am going to do what you suggested.I really appreciate you taking the time to help me .~ THANK YOU !!
yes.gif

The vet told us to use bleach and water, just a small amount of bleach, I used a three inch high squart type bottle with a like 1 to 10 mixture the one being the bleach

Latest posts

Back