Need help with Parent Qualifying

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi, I am just trying to send in papers to get my horses parent qualified but they got me confused
default_no.gif
So it says that you have to send in a DNA test kit first to DNA test the horse, fair enough. But then it says that you have to go one step further to PQ them.

So if I have horses with both parents DNA tested, doI just send in a request for PQ and then send in the hairs or do I need to request a DNA test kit because the horse that I am DNA testing isnt done yet

So my question I guess is...

If you have a horse with both parents DNA tested, can you simply get the horse parent qualified

or....

Do you have to get them DNA tested, then get them parent qualified and if this is the way do you pay 41 dollars to DNA test and then another 41 dollars to parent qualify for every horse???

thanks for your time

It sounds more confusing than it is.
default_smile.png

To parent qualify a horse, said horse must be DNA tested at $41. If both sire and dam are DNA'd, you can request said horse to be Parent Qualified to it's sire and dam. No extra fees involved.

oh and on the work order by tne DNA for 41 dollars there is another option for DNA conversion I think that it said for 27 dollars, would anybody know what that is??? thanks

Before they decided to use DNA, AMHA used blood typing.

When they switched to DNAing, they allowed people who had already paid to blood type their horses to DNA at a lesser fee
default_smile.png

Do you have to send in the DNA kit to register a horse? And do they have to be parent qualified to have registerable foals or just DNA tested?

They do not have to be DNA'd in order to register them. Assuming that you send in the registration before they are 2 yrs old.

BUT they do have to be DNA'd before any of their foals can be registered.

Latest posts

Back