NEED HELP WITH NEW DWARF BABY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sucking reflex...still not a reason to euthanize a foal, in my opinion.

Little Bit was too short to reach his dam's teats even with his legs splinted, then she developed mastitis, so he couldn't have her milk anyway...Little Bit was a "bowl baby" for 8 months. He DID have a cleft palate so I had to use a ketchup squeez bottle to put just a couple swallows of his milk replacer into his bowl at a time so that he would not aspirate milk into his lungs. I had tried every kind of nipple that's made, but he would still not suck a bottle, but he had absolutely no problem drinking his milk replacer out of a bowl.
default_smile.png
I am not saying a cleft palate foal cannot live...I am saying that sometimes, it may be more humane to let them die peacefully without suffering, depending on the severity of the problems they are faced with.

Making the decision to euthanize is a heartbreaking one and I dont think anyone should be made to feel badly if they decide to go this route. I feel sure Mona just meant that given the previous information some foals are better off being euthanized then prolonging their suffering.

Some cannot afford the huge vet bills that go along with trying to get a foal like this going. Some just cant handle the every couple hour feeding and stress of caring for one.

We all know foals like this that make it and just as many that dont.

I know the foal (actually a yearling but looked like a foal) we took into cmhr with cleft palate was definately suffering and was leading no quality of life. I was told by osu it was a miracle that she lived as long as she did. But she was way underweight, stunted her growth, brain damage and had pnemonia. It broke my heart to put her down but I knew it was the right thing to do. She should have never suffered for as long as she did

Last edited:
Lara, I want you to know my thoughts are with you. None of this is easy.

I only ask you listen to your gut,,,,,,,,,,it will be right,,,,,for you and this little baby.

She is not a dwarf,,,,but was born with no sucking reflex, my Prints. No one is sure why,,,but we fed her every hour for a long time, then went to two hours. It was very much worth it.

I would have done anything for her, including letting her go,,,,but it was not what my gut was telling me,,,,,even when others were.

Sucking reflex, or lack there of,,,,,,,,does not make it hopeless, only a little tougher.

Prints turned 2 in May,,,,,,and is the best!!!!!

printsnew.jpg

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!

I did have a dwarf,,,,,we lost her on the second day,,,,but we all just knew.

Mya,,,I still think of her often,,,,such a love.

mya.jpg

UPDATE: Well Ms Wiggles is up and following David around like he is her very best friend. We have a camera and I can hear him just talking like crazy to her.. The back splints tend to make her want to BUCK and KICK and she can let you have it if your not carfeful..

She is sucking that syringe just dry, not is head butting David when he doesnt let her have it right away. Mama has to be watched. she tries to kick us. Every 1 1/2 is going to be really tuff for us to feed her. She is now confused of course as to who is Mama.. NOT GOOD. I smeared milk all over the mares bag to encourage her to nurse but she fights me. MY LAST feeding she was still strong. I will be honest, we are going to do everything that we can for Wiggles to a point. If I feel she is hurting in anyway, or that by keeping her alive we make her a pathetic miserable little horse, I won't hesitate in putting her down. It will hurt, but its better for the both of us. SHE DOES NOT HAVE A CLEFT PALATE. She is pooping

I will give you a call Janelle, but I would also, ask a favor of you. I will send you the money for this phone call, if you could possibly talk to my vet also.. All the help we can get would be great. And since you have so much success with the dwarves I would suck up all the information I can. Also, forgot she does have a slight heart murmur. but he said alot of horses do and felt that wasn't a concern.

MONA.. I know what you mean. I have also prepared myself for the possiblity of this not last long. Heck, the next feeding she could start the downward curve. But I also know Mona is the most tender hearted person I know..

If I have forgotten anything you will have to excuse me I am so tired. Right now she seems to be doing just great.

Oh, Lisa, I won't ever forget Sadie.. What a doll she was. Wiggles was not born early. So at least she has that going for her.

Thank you all so much..

Tired in Tennessee

Thanks for the update Lara! So glad to hear she does not have a cleft papate!! :aktion033: That is one potential hindrance out of the way!!

Maybe if she gets a little more hungry between feedings, and you can somehow keep your mare quiet enough where you can take the syringe she is sucking from, and put it (from either the other side or between the mare's back legs) under the mare's belly and let her suck it, and then very slowly keep moving it back and up to the mare's bag, and then squirt the teats and smear them with the fresh milk, just maybe, she will latch on. I am wishing you and David the best of luck with this.
default_yes.gif
:

Sounds like little Ms Wiggles is doing great! :aktion033: I'm so glad you visited the link I gave you & have talked to Janell. You will get lots of support at that sight, & it's also a wonderful place to learn how to care for Dwarfs.
default_yes.gif
: Will be keeping your little one in my prayers!
default_wub.png
:

Welcome to the world Ms Wiggles. And God knew you would love and care for her. I can't imagine your sadness when she foaled but perhaps there's a reason she's here and if so only good will come out of it..perhaps like some a therapy giirl. Perfect size to pet from a wheelchair eh?

Anyway, I will be crossing my fingers and believe me if I was close enough I'd definatly spell you on the feeding chores, fed round the clock on an adopted Shetland foal once..hard but very rewarding.

my best to you and your lovely caring husband. OH you know my heart lives for Buckskins! Pictures please!!with sugar on it;)

Maxine

I am glad she is doing better and while nursing is best.. if that doesnt work we had great success with Sadie and drinking from a shallow pan

I would make up her Mares Match in bottles and keep them in the fridge (24 hours worth) and then go pour the bottle in her bowl for her she would go crazy when she saw those bottles and heaven help the poor sap who didnt poor them fast enough for her.. she would either chase you down or turn and kick you in the shins

I do promise you this Lara no matter how long Miss wiggles is in your life.. no matter how much money you spend - she will teach you life lessons that will be priceless!

I came in on this late, but I had one years ago with a cleft palate and she did just great nursing from her momma...no trouble...ran and enjoyed life to the Max.

Then I began to wean her and introduced grain. That was the downfall, she aspirated some in her lungs and got an infection she could not recover from...and she passed away in my kitchen were we could be with her.

As short a time as she had with us, we will never forget her or that loving powerful little spirit that she was.

I am glad your little one is coming around for you Lara and will keep her and you in my prayers....
default_wub.png
:

My Dear Friend Lara,

I can read your mind. I know what you are doing, and what you are going through, and how you are feeling. You are refusing not to let this baby go without giving her your best shot and I'd be the same way too. I know you are keeping in mind what her quality of life will be too. So, whatever happens, whatever you decide, you have my support.

Much Love Sister
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Oh! Mona I hope that you or no one else thinks for a minute that I would ever condone letting a dwarf Mini or any other animal, for that matter, suffer!
default_sad.png

I don't post on here much, unless someone e-mails me to tell me that there is a thread on dwarves, like this morning, because many times I am taken the wrong way...I just type out what I am thinking at the time, not thinking about being politically correct, and covering all my bases before stating my thoughts. I only have the good of the dwarf in mind and wanting folks to give the foal every chance at a good life, that's all.

I just got off the phone with Laura & David...Ms Wiggles has already stolen their hearts, as I knew she would! :bgrin

She's in very good hands, and it sounds as though they have a wonderful vet as well! :aktion033:

Thank you Marty, I think you have more confidence in me that I have. Lisa, thanks for the laugh I needed that. You always crack me up.. I could just see little Sadie chasing you down.. TOO FUNNY.. I took some pictures of Ms Wiggles, but don't know if I can post them here or not. I think there is another place where you can post pictures, if someone would let me know where that is you all can see Ms Wiggles. She does have a new issue.. If she strains, it looks to me like she has urine coming from her umbical stump. I am going to call Dr Kimmons back. These pictures arent the best cause we had just feed her 60 cc's of Mama's milk..and she passed out Tried really hard to get her to nurse but don't want nothig to do with that. She can lay down and get up all by herself. Also, I think we are going to have change her bedding. Her little tongue hangs out, and she collects whatever flies by in her mouth, ie shavings. So we have to clean her little mouth out before we feed her. Any suggestions? If we use straw she has a harder time in getting up..

Let me know where to post the pictures. and i sure will do it.. Thanks for all your help

Still Tired in TN

No Janell, I just didn;t want you thinking I was heartless and that I feel all dwarfs shopuld be put to sleep and not given a chance at life, because I in NO way feel that way...just sometimes I think it may be more humane to put them to sleep.

Lara, yes, you can post the pics of Ms Wiggles in this thread, as this was not a "photo" type thread. You originally posted seeking help. Please feel free to post pics!
default_yes.gif
:

Oh my heart so aches for you. It sounds like Ms Wiggles is such a strong little girl and what an awesome momma she has
default_yes.gif
: to take such care of her the way you are.

Just take each monent as it comes and let her tell you how to take the next one. You'll know what she's telling you.

(((HUGS))) to you, your family and Wiggles. Looking forward to seeing pictures :aktion033:

Oh what an angel she is...no wonder you lover her so much
default_wub.png
:

What a little darling. I sure hope her little legs strengthen soon and also hope she starts nursing from her dam. Best of luck to you and David.

Love the photos what a pretty face
default_wub.png
:

She is such a precious little lady. Best of luck with her she sounds very lucky to have you and David.

What a sweetheart she is
default_wub.png
: and I love her name, it suits her to a T. She is in the BEST hands possible as far as I am concerned :aktion033: . Enjoy the time you have with her, you never know it could be a long time but if it's not celebrate her coming into your world and what SHE teaches you and all of us. She is precious. Please give her a hug from me.

Back