NEED HELP WITH NEW DWARF BABY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraP

Reaction score
She was born about 330AM. The poor little thing can't stand. Her legs in front from the knee down has no ligaments, the back legs are worse, they are every where. We did milk out the mare and gave it to the baby, but it seems she is lacking in the sucking reflex, cleft palate? I don't know. Of course its the 4th of July, my equine vet is gone until the 5th. In the meantime, I will continue to feed the baby, but I was trying to think of things I can do to help her to stand up so she could nurse. I haven't had a dwarf before. She is unbeliveably cute.. Extreme foward lower jaw. But it breaks my heart cuz I know what the outcome can be.

If anyone has any ideas on bracing those legs up.. Please let me know. If you have to call me collect would be fine. My number is 615-547-1590.

Thanks

Lara

lara im probably no help but i have always heard that you shouldnt brace the legs. Maybe keep feeding her and give her some time?

If its cleft palate the milk will come back out thru the hole.

no nursing reflex could point to a dummy foal or it could be because her bite is off?

I would try emailing tony at little america and maybe get his thoughts?

Sending good thoughts

Thank Kay..

My vet just called me back, bless his heart, He had plans to go boating today but when he got my message he said he would meet David at the clinic at 7AM. Poor little thing. And god, I don't think I have ever seen anything cutier than this baby. She is a buckskin with a huge star.. I know this is going to be a heart breaker, I remember when Lisa @ RuffNTuff had that little dwarf and I use to just sit and wait for her to post pictures of that little thing.

Lets just hope, the vet can do something to help out. He is not one to put things down. Let me know what Tony has to say. Thanks again Kay

Sending good thoughts and prayers for a positve outcome.

Awwww your little baby girl sounds so very precious! I hope it's a good outcome for her. Please let us know what the vet says.

Awwww.....bless your heart. It sounds like you'll make a wonderful mommy to this little one, if she makes it.

But you have to be brave, and be able to do what's best for her. If her leg deviations (and other problems) are too bad, you need to be prepared to make that dreaded decision & allow her to cross the Rainbow Bridge....no matter how hard it is.
default_sad.png

Sending lots of prayers for you new little baby.
default_wub.png
: Hope she's a fighter & her problems aren't as bad as it sounds.

Lara,

So Sorry to hear that you are having troubles with your new little one. I will pray that all will be ok with her. Dwarf babies are adorable. Wishing you all the best and hope for a nice outcome for you all.

and................... who could ever forget Lisa's precious Sadie. I can still see her photos in my mind and she was such an angel. It's these little one's that touch the heart.

Take care.

I am so sorry about your foal, but know that you know the final outcome. If one can't stand and nurse, any prolonging of their life is only torture, both for them and you.

I'm so sorry to hear that your baby is having such problems. My heart goes out to you for the choices you may have to make (((((HUGS))))))

I am so sorry about your sweet little dwarf.As Tony has said if they can't stand and can't nurse you don't have much choice.Better to just go ahead and help them cross the Rainbow Bridge.I know it is difficult and we want to save them all, but sometimes it isn't meant to be.As a caring breeder and owner you will know what is right for your baby.I have tried to save dwarf foals by feeding them, but had to let them go due to not standing.I did have 1 dwarf, CHESTER, who could stand and nurse alone so he made it.It is so heartbreaking because they are always so sweet. I can still see my little black Appy filly and my little sorrel pinto who wasn't as big as my barn cat. Keeping you in my prayers in this difficult time.Be sure to talk to the mama about her baby and your decision and give her lots of hugs if you have to let her baby go.I did with my Fancy and I think it made a difference.Mama was ok and moved on quickly once her baby was gone.

Just got off the phone with David. My vet said that he is going to splint the legs and that is what he did. Once he got the splints on her, he was on the ground with her she gave him a good kick in the belly Dr Kimmons said she was extremely strong little one and don't give up just yet. Did he do wrong by splintinng the legs?

Dona send me a link to Lil Bits so I forwarded that on to my vet and he is going to read it. David feed her again for the trip home and now she is sucking the sygrine dry So far she has had 380 cc's of mama's milk.. She can stand now, but once down can't get up by herself, she has to be stood up.

I don't understand the " Magic Shoe" thing. My vet named her Ms Wiggles, so i guess that will stick. I am just concerned about the splints. I hope he did the right thing. she is a stong baby and wants to live.

Thank you all for your well wishes and support. Gonna have lots of questions tho..

Lara

PS She does have fully intact bones in all four of her legs.

Just got off the phone with David. My vet said that he is going to splint the legs and that is what he did. Once he got the splints on her, he was on the ground with her she gave him a good kick in the belly Dr Kimmons said she was extremely strong little one and don't give up just yet. Did he do wrong by splintinng the legs?

Dona send me a link to Lil Bits so I forwarded that on to my vet and he is going to read it. David feed her again for the trip home and now she is sucking the sygrine dry So far she has had 380 cc's of mama's milk.. She can stand now, but once down can't get up by herself, she has to be stood up.

I don't understand the " Magic Shoe" thing. My vet named her Ms Wiggles, so i guess that will stick. I am just concerned about the splints. I hope he did the right thing. she is a stong baby and wants to live.

Thank you all for your well wishes and support. Gonna have lots of questions tho..

Lara

PS She does have fully intact bones in all four of her legs.
The Magic Shoes helped our dwarf Connie along with splinting her front leg (it looked like her leg was broken and the fetlock when she was born) - the bones fused together and she could run with our herd. If it helps your baby thrive, you will know it. If you can, have the foal stand on a piece of Fome-Core board (you can get it in most arts & crafts stores). This helped Janell see how Connie actually stood on her hooves - where she stood more on her feet, a deeper impression was left in the board.

Our other dwarf Bodie could not be "fixed" - splinting him caused him to stop eating and he colicked and almost died...the splints came off his appetite came back and he started pooping again (my son Andy fed him with a syringe and "bubbled" him on his lap like one would do a colicky baby and it helped a lot) and while he does not walk like a normal horse, he is thriving and doing well - both dwarves are with a friend of mine on a permanent loan - if she cannot keep them, they come home to me but they are now three years old and very cute. My veterinarian cares for them still at their new home and I get good updates.

Good luck with your little one and I would love to see pictures!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Hi lara i will say splinting them for a few days isnt horrible or the wrong thing the fact she got up and kicked says so in my book anyway.

Sadie wore splints for about a month as not only was she a dwarf but she was very very early I forget exactly but like 270 days or so she should not have made it dwarf or not.

She got stronger and eventually didint need the splints she did just need the extra help at first so I would go with it and see what happens. you will know what to do and when to do it. We used PVC pipe wrapped in cotten and vet wrap to keep them soft and then more vet wrap to put them on I changed them and put powder on under them daily and left her without them for a little bit at a time and eventually the time got longer and longer inbetween.

I have been told by some 'expert splinters' (those with a lot of experience) to splint for up to 48 hours then remove then repeat as often as necessary. Never having done this myself I don't know if this is the way to go, but I imagine your vet knows best.

Good luck with Ms Wiggles
default_smile.png
Such a cute name!

Charlotte

p.s. Oh, I see Lisa has good experience with splints. Lisa, do you have pix of your splints?

Last edited by a moderator:
awe, um i would just wait and try to make the baby as comfortable as you can till your vet comes out.good luck

She sounds absolutely adorable, keeping good thought and fingers crossed for Ms Wiggles!!!!

Oh no, I am so sorry for your dwarf foal. It can be so heartbreaking nat times, raising these little horses. I have to agree with the others, that if she is that bad off, I feel the kindest thing to do, would be to have her put to sleep. I would give the splints a couple of days as Charlotte said, and if she still cannot stand to nurse on her own, I would think she may end up suffering terribly the longer time goes on. :no:

Hello Laura~

This is Janell, the lady that makes the corrective shoes for special needs horses, "Little Bit's *Magic Shoes*".

Your vet did the right thing by splinting this baby's legs for now. It will allow her to be able to walk and stand to nurse and keep her from stretching those little tendons and ligaments anymore than they are now.

You wrote that "she doesn't have any tendons", I don't feel that this is true, I feel that she just has tendon laxity, which is VERY common in dwarves.

The splints are good for a while, but they will not allow this foal's legs to get strong, unlike the *Magic Shoes*.

I think that your foal will most likely benifit greatly from wearing the *Magic Shoes*. It won't hurt for her to have her legs splinted for awhile, but you will HAVE to take them off every day or every other day at the most, and check for pressure sores.... you can not believe some of the pictures people send me of their horse's legs after their vets have splinted their legs, and they were left on for a week at a time! Horrible sores,
default_sad.png
then there's a chance of infection, then you has a BIG mess on your hands, and it can even be fatal!
default_sad.png

Please give me a call if you would like to discuss the shoes for your foal, or have any other questions. 979-877-0117

I adopted my first dwarf, Tessa, 13 years ago, and have since then adopted 7 all together over the years, I still have 6. I lost my Little Bit, 4 years ago, June 2nd.
default_sad.png

I would like to see some pictures of your baby, and some close ups of her legs and hooves when she's standing on a hard flat surface, without her splints on. You can also e-mail me at: [email protected] if you like.

Did your vet think that she has a cleft palate? You can tell if she does, if milk runs out of her nose when she nurses. If so, this will pose another problem, as she will aspirate the milk into her lungs and develope aspiration pneumonia...then she will have to be put on antibiotics. Once she is no longer nursing, it won't be a problem, as it won't hurt if she aspirates a little water into her lungs, it's the milk that causes bacteria to grow in their lungs, not the water.

You can read all about my shoes on my website, if you would like.

http://wwwl.littlemagicshoes.com

I have to agree with the others, that if she is that bad off, I feel the kindest thing to do, would be to have her put to sleep. I would give the splints a couple of days as Charlotte said, and if she still cannot stand to nurse on her own, I would think she may end up suffering terribly the longer time goes on.
Just because this foal has tendon laxity, it is certainly NOT a reason to have her euthanized! I have complete confidence that Little Bit's *Magic Shoes* can work their "magic" on this foal, just as they have for hundreds of other foals!
default_yes.gif
:

I have to agree with the others, that if she is that bad off, I feel the kindest thing to do, would be to have her put to sleep. I would give the splints a couple of days as Charlotte said, and if she still cannot stand to nurse on her own, I would think she may end up suffering terribly the longer time goes on.
Just because this foal has tendon laxity, it is certainly NOT a reason to have her euthanized! I have complete confidence that Little Bit's *Magic Shoes* can work their "magic" on this foal, just as they have for hundred of other foals!
default_yes.gif
:
Janell, I did not say that just because the foal has lax tendons it is reason enough to put her down. I was basing my comment on what Lara wrote, about no sucking reflex, and if she did indeed have a clefte palate, along with the severely lax tendons.

No sucking reflex...still not a reason to euthanize a foal, in my opinion...it may take a few days to develope.

But I just re-read LaraP's post, she said the foal was sucking the syringe dry now! WooHoo!

These dwarf foals have such a stong will to live, it's just amazing!

Little Bit was too short to reach his dam's teats even with his legs splinted, then she developed mastitis, so he couldn't have her milk anyway...Little Bit was a "bowl baby" for 8 months. He DID have a cleft palate so I had to use a ketchup squeez bottle to put just a couple swallows of his milk replacer into his bowl at a time so that he would not aspirate milk into his lungs. I had tried every kind of nipple that's made, but he would still not suck a bottle, but he had absolutely no problem drinking his milk replacer out of a bowl.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back