Need help with Equipage system

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
I bought an Equipage system on the Saleboard last year after foaling season. Well, I decided to get it out and put it on a mare I am watching. It did not come with directions, but how hard can it be?

I put batteries in the transmitter. I put batteries in the pager. I finally got the transmitter fastened to the halter. I plugged in the base unit and the red light came on where it says "charge". I turned the switch to on and the green light that says "operating" came on. (By the way, I tested the pager to make sure it would beep.)

All is good. I went to bed, planning to actually sleep without worrying about watching the camera the entire night. Well, I did watch the monitor a good while. Hannah was milling about a lot (she had been standing fairly still the last couple of nights under camera). My foaling stall is fairly big and I cannot see the very corners on the camera. I finally went to sleep and woke up a little after midnight with the pager beeping. I could not see Hannah on the monitor. She had to be in the very corner of the stall. I jumped up, put my clothes on and went out. There STOOD Hannah in the corner of her stall. OK, maybe she had been down and just got up while I was on my way out. So, I turned the pager back on and it still beeped with her standing there with the transmitter securely fastened on top of her halter. So, I turned it off and went back to bed and rolled over every 10 minutes and looked at the monitor.

WHAT am I doing wrong? Does anyone have directions they could copy and mail to me? I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, no baby this morning.

I'm afraid I'm no help here Freeland. I don't have one of those, but I bet you get some answers soon.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry you are missing sleep for a not good reason!

Charlotte

Hi Freeland,

Sorry you are having problems!

Do you have the transmitter in the pouch correctly? And the pouch fastened properly under the mares' halter? The transmitter has to be placed with the arrows pointing forward towards the mares front feet and the up arrows pointing to the horse's head.

Having said that, mine will occasionally go off if the mare catches the transmitter on a bucket when eating or drinking but very unlikely. However, you should be able to reset the pager and it should stop beeping.

If it continues to beep incorrectly, there is an internal battery in the repeater that has to be replaced every so often. The one in yours may be in need of a new one.

I've also found with mine (I'm learning too as I bought a used system 2 years ago with no instructions) that different transmitters are more or less sensitive than others. If you have another transmitter, you might want to try a different one.

Good luck and I think when you get it working properly, you'll be glad you have it!

I also wanted to add, do you have the antennas attached and placed correctly? The small antenna should be screwed in firmly to the top of the repeater. The large antenna should be mounted on the barn roof for best transmission, although I know many that mount it inside the barn with good results. The higher, the better. The repeater should be located a minimum of 6' from the barn floor, again for best results.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is about a 20 second delay on them so she could of rolled and got back up by the time you got out there. You might have the battery pack in backwards also. It will page if the head turns one way but not the other. What we do every year is one of us turns the halter on its side each way (in the stall) and the other is in the house watching on the monitor to make sure its paging correctly. I can honestly say I havent missed one yet because of it and get much needed sleep.

Hi Freeland,

I just ordered that equipage system, and it says it should be delivered today, so if you want I can scan and send you the instructions that come with it when I get it.
default_wink.png

Hi there. I have the instructions for mine if you need me to scan them and send them or I can put them into a photo bucket format incase you have dial up.

The unit should go under the head by the throat latch and must be facing up and forward.

I am sure it is something simple. I was stumped when mine stopped working. I opened up the transmitter, thinking it had to do with the back up battery malfunctioning, and found that the fuse casing popped apart. It was easy to fix.

Carolyn

Thanks everyone. I can see that I have done some things wrong. I placed the transmitter on top of the halter, behind her ears. I had to make an extention on the clips to get it to fit and thought that was odd. I did have the arrows in the correct postition, forward and up. I do have the antennas attached, but did not have the base unit (repeater) six feet above the floor. I am at work now, but will work on it when I get home.

If someone would scan or copy the instructions and email or mail them to me, I would be ever so grateful. Address is below in my signature.

Freeland, I bet the biggest problem you have is where you placed the transmitter!
default_smile.png
It goes under the halter. There is a picture on the Equipage website here Equipage where the transmitter is to be attached.

I don't have a legible copy of the instructions, but I'm sure somebody will send them to you.

I bet you'll find when you have the system set up correctly, it will work properly for you. You'll be glad you got it!
default_biggrin.png

I just printed off the manual. I'll walk it to the mail box right now.

Good luck,

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still waiting on mine.....haha ups says it is out for delivery today!!!!!!!!!
default_laugh.png

I need it sooo bad..........lol
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back